About 1053 - Please check my schematic

Designing hardware that uses VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs such as an external MP3 decoder chip for a host microcontroller.
demonoR
Senior User

Re: About 1053 - Please check my schematic

Post by demonoR » Wed 2011-05-04 0:41

Finally I decoded that FLAC, I put that plugin from sd card, because of 32kb of atmega memory, it could not fit to atmega flash. I overclocked that MCU on 14.3 MHz@3V3, and it is not enough, laggy in some places :) I wish i could clock it to 20MHz.

Ah, clocked on 16MHz, almost ok, but still laggy in a few places, but much better than 14.3. And its only 16bit, interesting how much speed is needed for 24 bit FLAC.

finally clocked to 18.4 MHz@3V3, works smooth.

demonoR
Senior User

Post by demonoR » Sun 2011-07-24 15:43

Hi panu,

I have a little problem with sound. When I listening music sometimes my left speaker not working so good.
Maybe i made some mistakes in schematic. But it seems that I soldered all the components right. Ah I used 22ohm resistors (not 20, but i do not think that this cause the problem).

Here is my schematic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/vs1053.jpg/

I bought the module of vs1053 (from ebay) and i see that some part of schematic differs. With this module sound quality is good.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/darvienas.jpg/

I have not tried to seldered from this schematic. So what should I use? Here is the full scheme.

http://fps-clan.ucoz.com/VS1003SCH.pdf

Panu
VLSI Staff. Currently on holiday.

Post by Panu » Mon 2011-07-25 9:47

Hi!

There's a couple of possibilities:
1) It's just a mechanical problem at the connector, or
2) It's a ground problem: Your schematic is DC connected and the other one is AC connected (with DC blocking capacitors.) To what kind of speaker/headphone/amplifier do you connect the output?

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

demonoR
Senior User

Post by demonoR » Mon 2011-07-25 10:23

HI,

Ah, I remember, i used this schematic but i used different connector and sometimes when sound quality was very bad i put my GBUF or RIGHT or left to ground for 0.5s and quality changed, but this works only for some seconds.

What do you mean DC, AC, can you explain?

Panu
VLSI Staff. Currently on holiday.

Post by Panu » Mon 2011-07-25 13:08

What do you mean DC, AC, can you explain?
DC connected means that a signal is directly connected "as is", just a wire from point A to point B. AC connected means that there is a capacitor between point A and point B, which allows only AC or "Alternating Current" to pass, and any constant ("DC", "Direct") voltage constantly present on the pin is blocked by the capacitor. Just like in VS10xx, when there is no signal in LEFT, RIGHT and GBUF, the VS10xx pins remain at a fixed voltage (RCAP voltage) which is usually 1.25 volts. The DC blocking capacitor charges to 1.25 volts and only allows the alternating sound wave to pass.

Both connections have their good side and their bad side. The good side of DC connection is great bass response and the bad side of DC connection is that if you connect it directly to ground, it's a short circuit.

If you have connection to external equipment, such as an external amplifier connection or line out, then the AC connection must be used. The direct DC connection should be used for headphones, which are directly connected to the device without external amplifiers. (LEFT=TIP, RIGHT=RING, GBUF=SLEEVE)

:!: Never allow the GBUF signal to be connected to ground!

-Panu
PS. Check the "Line out" connection recommendation (link below)
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

demonoR
Senior User

Post by demonoR » Tue 2011-07-26 18:26

I am using simple headset. And like you said I use DC and in the other scheme that I posted they use AC right.
So should I change capacitors or there can be other reasons?
Ah i detected one more thing. Then i increase more volume, it seems that quality is normal, but then I decrease it, left speaker is not working so good.. Everything is the same I mean, same song, same microcontroller, same code.