VS1000 with SPI slave application

Designing hardware that uses VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs such as an external MP3 decoder chip for a host microcontroller.
clisystems
User

VS1000 with SPI slave application

Post by clisystems » Fri 2015-12-04 0:10

Hello,

I have inherited a project which uses a VS1000 IC and a 128Mbit SPI flash to play OGG files via commands from UART. We have hardware based on the VS1000MOD design and I was brought in to bring up the system and port the firmware to a new master microcontroller. I am running into some issues with the VS1000 and would like to confirm that the hardware is correct.

We have a USB connection to the VS1000 chip for downloading OGG files. When we plug in the USB to the computer a drive shows up as VS1000B_RAM with a size of 16.9K and a single file NO_FLASH. After about 3 seconds the USB drive disconnects, then after another 3 seconds it reconnects again. This loops forever. Is this an issue with the flash chip? We are using a Macronix MX25L12845EZNI-10G IC.

I read in the Datasheet and the Programmers Guide that the default firmware on the VS1000 IC can take an SPI setup program 'VS1000_B.RUN' binary and an eeprom.img file to format the SPI flash. Is this the correct method to update if we do no have access to the UART pins?

We would like to download the "VS1000 Audio Module" application to the VS1000 chip and play files stored on the SPI flash. With this application support USB mass storage or will the SPI flash have to be formatted before assembly?

Thank you,

CLI Systems LLC

pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: VS1000 with SPI slave application

Post by pasi » Fri 2015-12-04 11:55

Hi,

1. USB RAMDISK disconnects - I'm not sure what is going in there. It should be stable. It is possible that some other device on the same bus triggers some USB hardware issue in VS1000. Also, check that your design has the USBN and USBP pull-ups to AVDD (I have seen some designs use IOVDD).

2. The easiest way to perform initial programming is through the UART, for example using pcflash from http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/vs1000tools.html .

If the UART pins are not available, and the image to program is small enough, then you could use the Ramdisk method. At least if you can keep the USB working. You would need a VS1000_B.RUN that can program SPI FLASHs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if we have one yet. Panu has made the VS1000d Programming Tool, maybe you could check if it supports SPI memories.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

clisystems
User

Post by clisystems » Fri 2015-12-04 20:40

Pasi,

Thank you for the feedback. I have confirmed that the USBP and USBN have 1M pull ups to AVDD from the VS1000 chip. We have a vs1000mod board that I was able to confirm connects via USB and provides a stable mass storage device connection. Is there a way to confirm which firmware is on this IC?

We are going to blue wire access to the UART lines. If I download the eeprom.img from the "VS1000 Audio Module" application, will that format the SPI chip or do we need to do that with a different programmer?

Also, is there a link to the stock firmware for the VS1000 so we can program it back to factory default?

Thank you.

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik » Tue 2015-12-08 14:00

Hello,

I am not our VS1000 expert, but there is one thing that came to my mind while reading your correspondence.

If VS1000 appears and disappears from USB, that could be caused by the Power Button signal kept constantly asserted. If Power Button is kept pushed, a reset will occur approximately every 7 seconds, which would correlate with your symptoms. Please verify that this doesn't happen, as it will also affect any and all other ways to connect to the IC, too.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi » Tue 2015-12-08 18:31

clisystems wrote:We are going to blue wire access to the UART lines. If I download the eeprom.img from the "VS1000 Audio Module" application, will that format the SPI chip or do we need to do that with a different programmer?
Does that mean you have access to the VS1000 UART pins?

If so, you need just the boot image (eeprom.img for single-load projects), then use a tool like pcflash.exe (see pcflash095 package from http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/vs1000tools.html ) to program it.

Overlay and multiload solutions have larger boot images that contain more than just a single program. For example the VS1000 Audio Module has four separate programs combined into spiall.spi (which is copied to eeprom.img, should be around 30kB).
clisystems wrote:Also, is there a link to the stock firmware for the VS1000 so we can program it back to factory default?
The VS1000 Audio Module solution should have spiall.spi included, or you can ask me for a specific version. 0.72-uart is the newest one.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

clisystems
User

Post by clisystems » Fri 2015-12-11 5:16

Henrik,

We had the power button pulled high, once we fixed that the cycling issues went away.

I have another question about flashing the SPI but I will make a new thread.

Thanks for the help.