VS1053B V2 Recorder/Player Functionality

Designing hardware that uses VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs such as an external MP3 decoder chip for a host microcontroller.
Morganzolar
User

VS1053B V2 Recorder/Player Functionality

Post by Morganzolar » Mon 2016-03-21 20:47

Good evening all,

I'm currently working on a system which requires voice recordings to be made on-the-fly, whilst also being able to playback these recordings when triggered (using an Arduino Uno). I may have jumped the gun buying the VS1053B without properly investigating whether it's possible to achieve this - I've seen a few forum posts suggesting it's problematic but I haven't seen anything definitive.

If anyone could shed some light whether the VS1053B can be used as an Ogg Recorder / Player in the same sketch, without having to change physical connections, I would be really appreciative!

Thanks,

Rob

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Re: VS1053B V2 Recorder/Player Functionality

Post by Henrik » Wed 2016-03-23 13:15

Hello Rob!
Morganzolar wrote:I'm currently working on a system which requires voice recordings to be made on-the-fly, whilst also being able to playback these recordings when triggered (using an Arduino Uno). I may have jumped the gun buying the VS1053B without properly investigating whether it's possible to achieve this - I've seen a few forum posts suggesting it's problematic but I haven't seen anything definitive.
I am not really that familiar with the Arduino architecture, but from the VS1053b point of view there are no issues.
Morganzolar wrote:If anyone could shed some light whether the VS1053B can be used as an Ogg Recorder / Player in the same sketch, without having to change physical connections, I would be really appreciative!
All you need to do from the hardware point of view is to connect the VS1053b analog inputs and outputs properly, as follows:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69

Then offer a 12.288 MHz chrystal, the required voltages, and connect SPI buses as recommended in the VS1053b Datasheet, or as shown with some of our Evauation boards with a microcontroller. Examples here:
http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1053.html

I think the bigger undertaking is with software. The VS1053b connection is pretty straightforward, though you need to have some non-volatile memory so you can load and start the VS1053b Patches Package every time you start VS1053b in playback mode, and the VS1053b Ogg Vorbis Recorder each time you want to record.

Of course, if you are building a recorder, you'll need to store the data somewhere with your microcontroller, e.g. an SD card, so you will need a driver that can use Multiple Block Write etc. But, as said, from the point of view of the VS1053b, everything is quite doable, and an Ogg Vorbis recorder / player is a good applications for it. Just note that you can do only one thing at any given time: no simultaneous recording and playback!

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

nic__s
User

Re: VS1053B V2 Recorder/Player Functionality

Post by nic__s » Mon 2016-08-15 12:36

Hi Morganzolar.

I'm in the very same boat. Have you made any progress with this project?

Thanks.