initial conditions

Designing hardware that uses VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs such as an external MP3 decoder chip for a host microcontroller.
Post Reply
m4l490n
User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri 2011-05-06 5:27

initial conditions

Post by m4l490n » Fri 2011-05-06 5:33

Hi
I'm a lot confused with the datasheet. I'd like to know what are the initial conditions of the vs1011e mp3 decoder, I mean, in the app note "vs10XXan" page 13 is the quick start up, in the topic 4.4 says "Writing to SCI" and I'd like to know what is SCI and how do I write to it? also, what is SDI and how do I write to it?

What are the initial conditions of the decoder? can I start the communication via SPI as soon as it is plugged in to VCC?

User avatar
Henrik
VLSI Staff
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue 2010-06-22 14:10

Re: initial conditions

Post by Henrik » Fri 2011-05-06 7:27

Hello,
m4l490n wrote:Hi
I'm a lot confused with the datasheet. I'd like to know what are the initial conditions of the vs1011e mp3 decoder, I mean, in the app note "vs10XXan" page 13 is the quick start up, in the topic 4.4 says "Writing to SCI" and I'd like to know what is SCI and how do I write to it? also, what is SDI and how do I write to it?
Please have a look at the VS1011 Datasheet v1.05, available at http://www.vlsi.fi/uploads/media/vs1011_01.pdf
To get to know what SCI and SDI are, have a look at Chapter 7, "SPI Buses". Short version: there are two SPI buses, called SCI (Serial Control Interface) and SDI (Serial Data Interface). SCI is used for VS1011 control, SDI for MP3 data. For further details, also read Chapters 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6.
m4l490n wrote:What are the initial conditions of the decoder? can I start the communication via SPI as soon as it is plugged in to VCC?
For details, see Chapter 9, "Operation", and particularly 9.2, "Hardware Reset" and 9.3, "Software Reset". Again, in short, wait for the data request pin DREQ to go high: then you can start feeding commands through SCI and data through SDI.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

User avatar
Panu
VLSI Staff. Currently on holiday.
Posts: 2736
Joined: Tue 2010-06-22 13:43

Re: initial conditions

Post by Panu » Fri 2011-05-06 7:29

Hi!

SCI "Serial Communications Interface" is an internal set of 16 registers, which looks much like a 16-address x 16 bit SPI RAM. You can write to them after the chip is released from hardware reset.

After reset, you need to set MODE, CLOCKF and VOLUME values (they're all SCI registers). Then you can send MP3 to the IC.

Please see thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

m4l490n
User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri 2011-05-06 5:27

Re: initial conditions

Post by m4l490n » Fri 2011-05-06 16:46

henrik wrote:Hello,
m4l490n wrote:Hi
I'm a lot confused with the datasheet. I'd like to know what are the initial conditions of the vs1011e mp3 decoder, I mean, in the app note "vs10XXan" page 13 is the quick start up, in the topic 4.4 says "Writing to SCI" and I'd like to know what is SCI and how do I write to it? also, what is SDI and how do I write to it?
Please have a look at the VS1011 Datasheet v1.05, available at http://www.vlsi.fi/uploads/media/vs1011_01.pdf
To get to know what SCI and SDI are, have a look at Chapter 7, "SPI Buses". Short version: there are two SPI buses, called SCI (Serial Control Interface) and SDI (Serial Data Interface). SCI is used for VS1011 control, SDI for MP3 data. For further details, also read Chapters 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6.
m4l490n wrote:What are the initial conditions of the decoder? can I start the communication via SPI as soon as it is plugged in to VCC?
For details, see Chapter 9, "Operation", and particularly 9.2, "Hardware Reset" and 9.3, "Software Reset". Again, in short, wait for the data request pin DREQ to go high: then you can start feeding commands through SCI and data through SDI.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Thanks, now, if I understood well, then in the chapter 7 in the tables for "7.2.1 VS1002 Native Modes (New Mode)" and "7.2.2 VS1001 Compatibility Mode" under the cells "SDI Pin" and SCI Pin" are those the pins used to communicate with the SCI or the SDI?

And where it says that Compatibility mode is the default mode because SM_SDINEW is 0 (default), do this mean that at start up the IC is in compatibility mode and I should send the software reset using the standar SPI pins (XCS, SCK, SI and SO)?

And once I make SM_SDINEW = 1;

1 - To comunicate with SDI should I use the pin XDCS (pin 4) to enable the VS1011?
2 - To communicate with SCI should I use XCS (pin 11) to enable the VS1011?

User avatar
pasi
VLSI Staff
Posts: 1690
Joined: Thu 2010-07-15 16:04

Re: initial conditions

Post by pasi » Thu 2011-06-09 13:57

m4l490n wrote:And where it says that Compatibility mode is the default mode because SM_SDINEW is 0 (default), do this mean that at start up the IC is in compatibility mode and I should send the software reset using the standar SPI pins (XCS, SCK, SI and SO)?

And once I make SM_SDINEW = 1;

1 - To comunicate with SDI should I use the pin XDCS (pin 4) to enable the VS1011?
2 - To communicate with SCI should I use XCS (pin 11) to enable the VS1011?
For compatibility reasons in VS1011 SM_SDINEW is 0 after reset. This is said in the datasheet. All newer chips use the new communication mode by default.

You always use xCS for SCI communication. After you have set SM_SDINEW to 1 (software reset is not required, you can just write 0x0800 to SCI_MODE), you use xDCS for SDI communication.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

signal
User
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 2011-07-27 16:30

Re: initial conditions

Post by signal » Sat 2011-07-30 14:08

hey thanks to you all this thread gives me direction to solve my issue thanks to yu all

Post Reply