Possible to playback audio file while also monitoring input sound?

Writing software for systems that use VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs to a host microcontroller.
sawyergs
User

Possible to playback audio file while also monitoring input sound?

Post by sawyergs » Thu 2020-02-20 4:43

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I've been researching to see if I can accomplish what I want with the VS1053.

I'm using a VS1053 on a first generation Seeed music shield and an Arduino Mega as a master microcontroller. I've been reading documentation on the OGG recording plugin and general documentation but it hasn't been able to answer my question.

I'm attempting to create a loop audio device to play at least one backing track and continue to pass input sound through from the ADC to the DAC. I've found examples that allow parts of this, such as the EQ plugin that allows inline effects on an input signal, as well as monitoring while recording, but nothing about being able to do both.

One option I considered was to keep it in recording mode and throw away data rather than save it, but that does not take care of the case during playback.

I've also been playing with a JFET buffer design to bridge the input and output of my design, to allow the dry signal to always pass regardless of what is happening on the VS1053, but with components I have, I wasn't able to get a decent gain and so the signal was attenuated. So here I am wondering if the VS1053 can take care of everything for me.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: Possible to playback audio file while also monitoring input sound?

Post by pasi » Thu 2020-02-20 10:21

If you only need to route the ADC to DAC while also playing a file, check out ADMixer. ADMixer is built-in in vs1063a, and available for vs1053b in the VS1053b ADMix Plugin.

http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/ ... ugins.html
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

sawyergs
User

Post by sawyergs » Thu 2020-02-20 17:42

I feel silly because I found that plugin shortly after I put in the post but it was in the approval stage so I couldn't change it.

Now my current question is how using multiple plugins is handled. From what I can tell, I need to load the OGG recording plugin to record, unload, load the admixer plugin and begin playback of the file, and switch these every time I change mode, does that sound correct?

pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi » Thu 2020-02-27 11:11

Ogg Recording is a full application, it takes over the whole system. Applications are working on their own and there are no plugins that would be compatible.

A few plugins and patches can co-exist.

Yes, you switch by starting with a software reset, then load the appropriate code.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook