SimpleMp3Player issue

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
nventalab
Senior User

SimpleMp3Player issue

Post by nventalab » Thu 2015-04-23 15:36

Hi VLSI Staff,

I want to signal you an issue occurred using SimpleMp3Player, when not defined USE_MP3, i.e. used for ogg encoding.
When I try to press Next button in order to close current file and start a new one, the program blocks.
Inserting some control message I see that the program is not able to execute again

enc = LibEncMp3Create(encLib, &es, channels, sampleRate, QUALITY);

after the first deleting of enc.

This doesn't happen with USE_MP3 define.

Any suggestion on how to do?
Thanks,
Enzo

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Re: SimpleMp3Encoder issue

Post by Henrik » Thu 2015-04-30 12:19

Hello Enzo!

I assume you mean the Simple MP3 Encoder, and not Player?

I can verify this bug. There are some other issues with the Ogg Vorbis encoding as well which we are looking to get solved at the same time.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

nventalab
Senior User

Re: SimpleMp3Encoder issue

Post by nventalab » Thu 2015-04-30 17:29

Hi Henrik,

sorry, you're right, I meant the encoder. Anyway dropping and loading again the encoder library it seems to be solved.

Many thanks, however
Enzo

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Re: SimpleMp3Player issue

Post by Henrik » Mon 2015-05-04 12:05

Hello Enzo,

and thanks for the information!

It seems that the encoder doesn't reset some values when being restarted. You can use the library unloading/reloading as a temporary fix. The library will be corrected when we find what is wrong; then it will start working even without the fix.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

nventalab
Senior User

Post by nventalab » Tue 2015-05-12 10:17

Hi Henrik,

sorry for late response, I was out of office. Thank you for the investigation. When you will be ready with new library version we will test it; anyway we tested dropping and loading the library being safe also for several consecutive days, so the temporary fix is good enaugh.

Kind regards
Enzo

cruedag
User

Post by cruedag » Mon 2018-07-16 16:19

Hi Henrik,

UPDATE: please forget this message because I've found some drivers not being updated with last "VSOS_354_RootAndLibrariesSourceCode.zip" version so it is more than possible that this is the reason of my troubles. So please consider deleting this message if you think so.

thanks to this thread I've used suggested technique of dropping and loading the ogg library each time you close the ogg file and open a new one. It worked fine for some months.

But now, after updating the kernel to last version, we found another trouble that could be related with this issue: sometimes, maybe after 10 closed files, dropping the library and then loading it again,the vorbis encoder seems to fail.

We found that from some point files are stored with no data sound: until that point you get your ogg stream, and from that point you get some dummy data in your files instead of the vorbis stream: all of the bytes are stored as 0x55, in that file and also in next files being generated with subsequent dropping and loading of the driver. Each file had 10 minutes of audio recorded, for a total size of about 12Mbytes. Next files don't even have an ogg header, only 0x55 bytes filling the whole file. We didn't get that behaviour with previous VSOS versions.

As you can see in this file dump, the end of the recording seems to occur on a memory page jump... we don't now if it is related to file system management, filebuf or encoder driver, but it seems to be more encoder related because the file system doesn't create fat errors, strange files, or wrong file sizes. They seem to be right, but without audio stream.

Any suggestion about this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Cristóbal
Attachments
Ogg vorbis failure.png
Ogg vorbis failure.png (30.05 KiB) Viewed 193 times