VSOS UART Shell

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
Mark
Senior User

Re: VSOS UART Shell Extensions 1.0

Post by Mark » Fri 2015-08-21 17:30

Thank you for getting back. It was too late in the evening and I realized that I was looking at the wrong schematic when I asked the question on the UART voltage levels - UGG. Indeed 3.3V levels and I will use a SparkFun level converter to continue with testing, in the final design 3.3V (buffered) is fine since I am connecting to a NetBurner MOD5282.

At the moment I am not utilizing the fast forward and rewind commands in my project, it's just something that I noticed as I was testing and thought I would bring it up for observation.

Since our project has lots of PCB area to work in, and we would rather not deal with BGA, we will be using the VS1005 BOB part. I will make sure to apply the comments that you made earlier in this post to the design/layout; any additional guidance that you may have with regards to the BOB would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Mark

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Sat 2015-08-22 8:53

Hi!

Right, I suggest you add a SPI flash for booting and a microSD card connector. The internal flash is a little small, especially for development (and erasing it if the software malfunctions is complicated), and SD card is the best storage media for VS1005.

Look at the VS1005 developer board schematic for hints on how to connect them. Add a jumper for disconnecting the SPI flash chip select (XCS0) so that you can prevent the board from booting if you get the software messed up. Add a button for RESET, and add a button to pull high GPIO0.0 so you can easily boot it to USB flashing mode.

Please check this post: "Tips and Guidelines for Designing VS1005 Boards" at
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1500

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

Mark
Senior User

Post by Mark » Fri 2015-08-28 15:05

Hello,

I would like to add another request to the UART control - It would be very nice to have a command that queried the SD for available memory. This command would be helpful when starting a record, allowing for a trap if memory falls below a self-defined level.

Thank you,
Mark

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Re: VSOS UART Shell Extensions now part of VSOS

Post by Henrik » Mon 2015-10-12 14:28

Just a quick note to anyone stumbling on this thread that the VSOS UART Shell Environment is now an official part of VSOS. It is included in the VSOS 3.25 Root and Libraries Source Code package (and newer versions) which is a part of the current VSOS release . So there is no need to load this package separately anymore.

The latest version of VSOS and the VSOS Root and Libraries Source Code package (including the current version of the VSOS Shell Environment) is available at the end of the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=680

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

Mark
Senior User

Re: VSOS UART Shell

Post by Mark » Wed 2016-05-11 22:34

Hello,

Well, we have finally received our product boards that has the VS1005 BOB as a central component. I require some help with loading up the VSOS UART shell extensions onto our VS1005 BOB's. It seems as if the VSOS is too large for the BOB NVRAM; could you possibly provide some guidance on how to reduce to VSOS (w/ UART) to a minimum size. Please keep in mind that we are in no way experts on working with the VSOS source code, or even the VSIDE. Thank you in advance for your guidance/assistance!

Mark

Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik » Thu 2016-05-12 9:12

Hello Mark,

you are right, the whole of VSOS is difficult to fit in the VS1005 1 MByte internal FLASH. Because of this there are two versions of the VSOS 3.27 Root and Libraries Source Code package: the full-size version in subfolder root, and a smaller version in small_root. You can copy the contents of small_root to your VS1005 BoB, then if you think you need some specific .DL3 shell commands from root, you can copy them separately.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.

Mark
Senior User

Post by Mark » Fri 2016-05-13 3:24

Henrik,

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly. Well, I am still having issues with getting the small_root on the VSOS BOB, it states that it requires additional space. Any additional guidance?

Thank You,
Mark

Mark
Senior User

Post by Mark » Fri 2016-05-13 3:25

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

Mark
Senior User

Post by Mark » Fri 2016-05-13 4:52

Hello,

Let me ask a couple of additional questions:

1) Is it possible to load/run the OS files from a USB memory stick?

2) When operating in the UART mode, what need to be changed so that the audio files can be played from the USB memory stick verses the SDRAM (i.e. d: points to USB instead of SDRAM)?

Thanks,
Mark

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Fri 2016-05-13 10:30

1) Is it possible to load/run the OS files from a USB memory stick?
Yes. But there are a couple of things to note. First of all, S:SYS/ is a special folder. It is the folder where the OS looks for .DL3 files automatically. So when you try to run command like "DIR", it is automatically expanded to "S:SYS/DIR.DL3" and loaded. So it is important to have S: point to a device which is always present.

Have you removed all the other files from the flash before copying small_root? The small_root should be well below 800 KB in size so it should fit the internal flash.

If you like, it would be possible to set up a minimal root filesystem in the internal flash and then run USBHOST S from the config.txt. This would replace the USB flash disk as the S: filesystem BUT the system would almost immediately crash when you remove that USB flash.

Another option is to load programs from the USB flash by writing their absolute path. So if you have DIR.DL3 in the root of the USB memory stick and that USB memory stick would be loaded as the U: disk by writing "USBHOST U" in CONFIG.TXT (or "DRIVER +USBHOST U" in the command line), you could run that program by writing "U:DIR.DL3" instead of "DIR".
2) When operating in the UART mode, what need to be changed so that the audio files can be played from the USB memory stick verses the SDRAM (i.e. d: points to USB instead of SDRAM)?
This should be well documented in the documentation. Basically just CD to that disk and use PLAYDIR or PLAYFILE etc.

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy