VS1005 Hi-Res Player (March 2017 Demo) source code

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
technic
Senior User

Re: VS1005 Hi-Res Player (March 2017 Demo) source code

Post by technic »

Hannu, Panu - thank you very much for explanation,
I increasingly like this architecture :)
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Oops, during my experiments with VSIDE I've "successfully update" VSOS in HiRes player (New VS1005 Solution > VSOS3 Kernel 3.50 for VS1005G External SPI Flash > build > Prommer > VS1005G external SPI flash prommer via UART on COM3).
After resetting device does not show anything on display. I have a brick (as usually for newbies)

As I understand, only way for me now - compile all HiRes apps from sources and write it to device...
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

First try to update an older kernel and see if it works after that. 3.50 was a major update to the kernel, it may require some modifications to other programs.

But yes, in the long run, sure.

-Panu
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Thank you for reply, Panu.

I studied the information from "Flashing a new or bricked VS1005G board" topic, but no luck. Seems that board does not answer anything on UART.
VSIDE prommer and Vsprom9 reports that there is no answer from device.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Keep trying with VSPROM9. That's how we program it in production.

The key to success, e.g. the board operating properly and being stable, is to have a proper primary boot image in the internal flash. Never ever write anything else into the internal flash - make all your modifications to the external flash.

Here are the VSPROM9 programming files for the hires player which we use in production.

I'll try to see if I can come up with a procedure to try to vitalize the board after something else is written into the internal flash. You can try to power the board down and then up while pressing the buttons on the right hand side of the player: next, play/pause, etc one by one and keep pressing the "Connect" button in the VSPROM9. When you get the connection, prom the Hires-Internal-v0.1.bin into the internal flash. The board is then stable and you can proceed with other operations.

-Panu

PS. Here are our internal programming instructions for the production of the board :
VS1005HiResPlayerOhjelmointiTestaus.pdf
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 351 times
They're in Finnish but I think you can follow the steps quite easily and compare the screenshots to what you see on your screen. So the language is not that important : )
Attachments
Hires-External-v0.1.bin
Hi-Res player kernel image for external flash
(64 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Hires-Internal-v0.1.bin
Hi-Res Player primary boot image for internal flash. Contains only the internal flash rescue image (4K), which should always be in the internal flash of VS1005g.
(64 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Panu wrote: Tue 2018-03-13 9:41
PS. Here are our internal programming instructions for the production of the board :VS1005HiResPlayerOhjelmointiTestaus.pdf They're in Finnish but I think you can follow the steps quite easily and compare the screenshots to what you see on your screen. So the language is not that important : )
Thank you very much, Panu, the device 'resurrected'! Instruction your provided works for me.
And by pressing '>' button during reset I can "see" system flash as disk now.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

That's great! What was the trick to make it work?

I think the kernel is good enough for the product, so there's probably no urgent need to update it. But because we just changed how the linker works by default in the last VSIDE release (it saves a LOT of space on our small internal flash when used with the latest kernel), so I think it's easier for you to modify the code with a VSIDE version which is a few months older than now. At least until you're comfortable.

I'll try to find the time to update the hires solutions to compile with the latest tools. It involves setting a couple of linker directives differently.

-Panu

Other thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=681&start=30#p11834
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Panu wrote: Tue 2018-03-13 12:33 That's great! What was the trick to make it work?
The main difficulty is to find which button to press during reset. The combinations I found did not work every time. It took a long time - to get the VSprom to connect to divice.

I think the kernel is good enough for the product, so there's probably no urgent need to update it. But because we just changed how the linker works by default in the last VSIDE release (it saves a LOT of space on our small internal flash when used with the latest kernel), so I think it's easier for you to modify the code with a VSIDE version which is a few months older than now. At least until you're comfortable.

I'll try to find the time to update the hires solutions to compile with the latest tools. It involves setting a couple of linker directives differently.

-Panu
Thank you!
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

The main difficulty is to find which button to press during reset. The combinations I found did not work every time. It took a long time - to get the VSprom to connect to device.
Ok, makes sense. Do you remember the key combination that worked?

-Panu
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Yes, sure. The button 'volume up' ( ^ ) has worked several times, and one time button 'Next' ( > )