Using the external or internal flash on Breakout board

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
maris_n_s
User

Using the external or internal flash on Breakout board

Post by maris_n_s » Thu 2018-05-10 10:14

Good day
I don't understand exactly how to use external flash:
How I understand I can put my VSOS operational system and necessary *.dl3 drivers into internal chip memory, that is very small.
But how to use external flash (usb flash)
and mentioned Embedded 8Mbit Flash for placing *.dl3 drivers here?

(Also Does the special formatting procedure will be used for usb flash?)

Panu
VLSI Staff

Re: Using the external or internal flash on Breakout board

Post by Panu » Sat 2018-05-12 22:28

Hi!

You ask very basic questions. It would be good for you to watch the educational videos first, to understand the fundamentals:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1273#p5655

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

maris_n_s
User

Post by maris_n_s » Fri 2018-06-01 12:57

Good day. I have saw all 4 videos.
Bus still have unanswered questions about additional memories. I cannot connect none of additional memory sussefully (except of USB flash, that is visible from computer).
I have Breakdown board, I put the system on it and can put SYS folder with drivers using windows.

Here is my questions:
1. As I have saw in 4th video you simply put usb flash memory (if I understand exactly) with drivers in SYS folder and Config file and system read everything from usb flash instead of system flash, but for me system continue loading drivers from systems flash SYS folder and not drivers from SYS on the flash.
SYS on the flash and Config on the flash is the copy of system flash.

2. In video Nr. 3 you have got list of system disks and drivers. So I just use this to test additional disks:
* for first I have connected usb flash, but I cannot got anything else only s: (system flash)
* I have connected SD card flash using SPI interface, but also cannot got anything exept of s:

3. Also we trying to set system kernel to SPI flash but here is some questions: do we need to modificate vsos_vs1005g.c file
and how to set size of flash memory, how to know exact memory size? We try to modificate it
3.1. What is differencies between Internal/External/NAND flash prommer and which file I should use eeprom_i or eeprom?
I also have got an error, during trying promming SD card:
Opened map file eeprom_e.map
Set SPI speed to 7.5 Mbit/s
Can't open image file eeprom_e.img for reading, ABORTING!
Because it is not eeprom_e.map in solutions file

4. My SD card is formatted in FAT32 format is OK? Or FAT format is preferable?

5. In video nr3. you put programm that return info about drivers into init.ap3 file, but what about SD card driver? (To use SD card, you must load SDSD driver in runtime, e.g. write
"SDSD D" in S:CONFIG.TXT and copy SDSD.DL3 and SDSDX.DL3 to S:SYS/) Does both init and config works simultaneously?

Thank you for your answers

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Mon 2018-06-04 10:15

Hi!

None of the videos have USB flash connected to the VS1005.

The videos have VSOS kernel, system disk and drivers all in the External SPI Flash (2 megabytes) of the Developer Board.
In the videos, pressing button S1 in the Developer Board configures the board to become USB Device. Then the Developer Board can be connected to the PC. There is no USB flash memory stick connected to the Developer Board.

Never connect both USB flash memory and PC to the Developer Board at the same time. This will make an illegal electrical connection.

Breakout board has only Internal SPI Flash (1 megabyte). To use the internal SPI flash of the breakout board, a kernel solution which uses the internal flash is used (vsos_vs1005g.c has #define USE_INTERNAL_FLASH), for example vsos_355g_IntFlash from here.

To program the Internal SPI Flash (1 megabyte), you must select VSIDE -> Project -> Prommer/Flasher Utility -> VS1005 -> VS1005G Internal Flash Prommer. This prommer read eeprom_i.map and eeprom_i.img files to program the kernel.

(VSIDE -> Project -> Prommer/Flasher Utility -> VS1005 -> VS1005G External SPI Flash Prommer reads eeprom_e.map and eeprom_e.img files)

Your Breakout Board, if it came from us, already has a kernel programmed. Also it can show itself to the PC using the USB mini-AB connector. Your first step must be to connect the UART cable to the Breakout Board and see the console, using TeraTerm or some other terminal program, give console commands etc. Then your next step must be to show the drivers already in the Breakout Board to the PC using USB cable connected to the USB mini-AB connector. Do not connect a USB flash memory stick to the USB A connector in the Breakout Board while you do these experiments.

Do not try to update the kernel, do not use VSIDE during these experiments. When you have done these comfortably, then we can move on to the VSIDE.

Any new ideas from this?

Good luck!
-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy