Multiple SD cards with HiRes Board

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
RLee
User

Multiple SD cards with HiRes Board

Post by RLee »

Hello,

was there any update for integrating the multiple SD cards with the HiRes board for the vs1005?

If the board is not ready to buy i would be more than happy to make my own if you could supply the gerber files.

Thanks in advance

Rob
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Re: Multiple SD cards with HiRes Board

Post by Panu »

Hmm, which board do you mean, the HiRes Player or the HiRes Recorder?

-Panu
RLee
User

Post by RLee »

It was the HiRes recorder
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

I know that Henrik did recording code that supports the 8 SD card board that we did earlier this year. But that board doesn't have any display. I'm not sure if the two boards can be connected together. (meaning the 8 SD board and the Hires Recorder display/ui board)

-Panu
RLee
User

Post by RLee »

Hi Panu,

The device I've been working on is an automated recorder for long durations. It needs the hi frequency capability, 8 sd cards but no display.

I asked about it about 8 months ago and you said it was something currently in the process of being developed.

Cheers

Rob
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Oh, that's great then, good news, it works. At least that's the idea I had when I left for my summer holiday a fortnight ago. Henrik did software that can record on that board. There's a gap of a few seconds between cards when one card gets full, the software finalizes files on that card and then switches the card for recording.

I'm not sure if Henrik already published it or not, and I can't ask as I'm not at the office. It could also be that we only have one or two handmade boards and Henrik is waiting for a final board version to come from the factory. In any case, it's really close of being reality.

-Panu
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

Hello!

Yes, we have made an 8 SD card daughterboard to the VS1005 Developer Board. The HiRes recorder for that board is under debugging at the moment. I expect we can release the board and software in late August. It contains 8 microSD connectors and our 4 Mbit SRAM IC VS23S040 for buffering. We have tested microSD cards up to 64 GB, but the same software has been tested with 128 GB and 256 GB SD cards, and it works fine. The only thing is that the cards need to first be formatted into FAT32, which can be done on our board in less than 10 seconds.

As Panu told, the recordings are otherwise continuous, but there is a few second gap each time the software has finalizes an SD card and go to the next one. Because of FAT32 file size limitations the file size is limited to just under 2 GiB, which happens to be exactly one hour at 32-bit 96 kHz stereo. The following formats are supported:
  • 96 kHz 32-bit stereo
  • 96 kHz 16-bit stereo
  • 48 kHz 32-bit stereo
  • 48 kHz 16-bit stereo
  • 32 kHz 16-bit stereo (FM radio recording mode)
  • 24 kHz 32-bit stereo
  • 24 kHz 16-bit stereo
Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.
RLee
User

Post by RLee »

Thanks both. I very much look forward to having a play. :D If you have the gerber files and it is not in production I would be more than willing to get one or two made. I would obviously feedback any issues I have.

I don't foresee any issue with 1-2 seconds lost over an sd card change. The only real pain with fat32 formatting I find is the limit to the file length but I seem to have built a renaming workaround for the time being.

Thanks again