Freeze on VSOS boot

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
bstenqui
User

Freeze on VSOS boot

Post by bstenqui »

Hello,

I have a custom board that I was able to to load the kernel for VSOS 3.60 onto. When It boots it freezes at the point of checking the internal flash.
I am using a VS1005G-F-Q on the board. I checked to make sure I was loading a good image using a BOB mkII board that I used for software development. I have a worry that the chip is bad but I thought I would check with you fine gentlemen. ​

Prompt on boot:

-Hello.
-VSOS 3.60 build Aug 22 2021 14:43:01
-VLSI Solution Oy 2012-2020 - www.vlsi.fi
-
-Starting the kernel..
-Starting Devices...
-Internal Flash
[FREEZE]

I am unable to flash the board at this point as the flasher program starts but then never returns and sometime crashes VSIDE
It finds the com chip as a VS1005 but then never prints anything to the standard input/output.

Update: I used the rescue procedure to clear the flash and now it will only load the rescue region of flash and then returns without writing the kernel region.
Last edited by bstenqui on Tue 2021-08-31 1:33, edited 1 time in total.
bstenqui
User

Re: Freeze on VSOS boot

Post by bstenqui »

It looks like I may have been given a board with a very old chip or a counterfeit device. :shock:

Is there a revision of the device that has the logo on the left and the company name VLSI on the right?
The part number and date codes are impossible to read which is another reason I think it is suspect.
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

Hi!

If you take a look at the bottom of http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1005.html you can see how the markings should be. Also lighting the chip from some angle usually shows the markings easier. Another trick which I use is to wipe the chip with isopropyl alcohol and during the time it evaporates, there is a brief moment when reading is easy. Date code YYWW is on the right bottom corner.

Your board has powered itself, got out from reset, booted from SPI( internal or external), loaded VSOS to the memory and now it tries to make the internal SPI flash as system drive and hangs. Even if counterfeits are real problem, I have hard time to believe someone making barely working VS1005.

Do you have also external flash installed on your board? There are two kinds of VSOS kernels, one for internal flash, and one for external flash. If you have flashed internal kernel to external flash, the problem could look like the one you have. Also there are two flashers one for internal and the other for external.
bstenqui
User

Post by bstenqui »

Replacing the chip let me get things going. There was no obvious reason for the boot issues but reworking a board can remove hidden solder bridges under the chip. The marking were messed up but they were purchased direct at qty 10 and shipped to the board manufacture for prototype.

Thanks for your help!
bstenqui
User

Post by bstenqui »

I have now built another 8 boards with the remaining chips and found that they will not boot as well

Here is a picture of the custom board with chip
You can see that the marking do not match the current production chips the chips were purchase in a lot of 10 in 2010
IMG_20220120_134102.jpg
IMG_20220120_134102.jpg (802.25 KiB) Viewed 378 times
My understanding of the operation of bring-up a new board is that the VS1005-G-F boots from ROM then look for the rescue image on the internal flash and then boots the VSOS from internal flash. I thought that the chips shipped with the current version of VSOS on the internal flash so that the internal flash would show up as USB Drive to allow loading the application filesystem.

I am working to setup tool to try and flash the recovery image and VSOS 3.60 on to these new boards but I am working with a Chinese factory to do this.
It is a massive problem for production complexity to have the flash the rescue image and VSOS via the serial port for each board.

Is there a way to have the chips pre-loaded with the rescue image and current version of VSOS?
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

Hi!

First your vs1005 looks correct. I attached image of break out board mk2 VS1205.

You have probably already checked if there is an easy problem to fix on your board: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1500 Quickly looking at the board, it doesn't look like an exotic circuit. But as usual, the devil is in the detail. Are the bypass capacitors on the other side right next to vias for AVDD,IOVDD and CVVD?

It is possible to buy the VS1005GF chips with preprogrammed flash. It can even have your full firmware, so no programming after assembly is needed.
And remember when writing the firmware, having a some way to test the board is real time saver.

When you get your SW done, there is a DumpFlash solution in roots and sources package. With it you can create image of your internal flash. And that image can then be programmed to VS1005.

Please contact sales@vlsi.fi to discuss quantities and other practical matters.
Attachments
Break out board mk2 vs1205
Break out board mk2 vs1205
vs1205_bob.jpg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 367 times
bstenqui
User

Post by bstenqui »

Thanks for the quick reply!

My next step is to use VSIDE to program the flash with the rescue image and kernel 3.60 as that was the version used for the software development.
I will look to get a a dump of the flash made for the chips that will be used in a full production run.

Can you comment on whether it normal to have no response on the UART. (assuming the board is correct)?
Is it the case that raw chips need to be flashed with rescue image and some kernel version. Or, did I just get a batch that had empty internal flash.

My concern is that the first chip in this batch had to be replace on my first prototype to get that unit working. Trying to flash the rescue image and kernel froze things mid boot. The only thing I had on hand was a chip form a MkII dev board. Those boards come preloaded with everything. Once I swapped the chip my prototype worked.
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

Hanging is definitely not normal. Usually it is other way. Shutting down is hard.

I have tested many break out and developer boards. Only a few of them have got stuck during boot and most of the time it has been a soldering problem in power, clock or reset circuit pins.

One simple problem could be the 8-bit NAND-flash interface. if NFRDY doesn't have pull-up VS1005 will get stuck during boot.
bstenqui
User

Post by bstenqui »

Resolution:

I received the production units and was able to use VSIDE to flash the rescue image and kernel to the chip and then everything started working for the new boards

Thanks for your help!