Flashing / Erasing Flash of new or bricked VS1005G board

Discussion about writing software for VS1005 and the VSOS Operating System. Also posts about VS1005-related hardware design and device drivers should be posted here.
Hannu
VLSI Staff

Re: Flashing a new or bricked VS1005G board

Post by Hannu »

Hello!

What happens is that you program takes over the serial port and the VS3emu can't connect as nothing answers to it anything interesting.
The solution is to boot to some other mode where serial port answers for VS3emu.

If I understood correctly, you write your programs through USB mass storage. Don't connect PC as it could write and break the file system but boot to USB mass storage mode. Then the serial port monitor should be able to connect and you should be able to update your kernel.

Another way to get VS3emu connecting is to run vs3emuc which root and libraries source code package. download/file.php?id=1409 The execution loops infinitely in the end of vs3emuc and then VS3emu connection should be able to take over.

You could also try to update kernel before writing the programs for the first time if you have fresh boards. Just for checking the application program is preventing VS3emu access.
Fridolin
Senior User

Post by Fridolin »

Hi Hannu,
thank you very much. This was exactly the problem. I have loaded your last small root app through USB and after starting your app, I was able to flash the new kernel.

Now everything is working fine again.
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Hello,

my situation are:
HiRes Player board connected via UART (COM3). After unsuccessful software upload (VSOS 3.50 builded by latest VSIDE) I can not connect to board to change anything, VSIDE prommer and VSprom9 both show message "Could not establish connection to VLSI chip."
When device connected via USB port, no additional disks appears in the system.

Is it possible to "revitalize" the device in this situation?

Error screen:
vsprom01.PNG
vsprom01.PNG (54.7 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
Hannu
VLSI Staff

Post by Hannu »

Hello!

Have you opened terminal and looked if VSOS prints anything?
And I have strong feeling that you have to press some button to get in to the USB mass storage mode.

How far you tried the steps Henrik has written in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=681#p6867

If you are working with external flash, keep XCS0 high during boot so that VS1005 tries to boot from internal rescue image and provides access to VS3EMU monitor.
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Thank you, Hannu, for answer.
Hannu wrote: Mon 2018-03-12 15:03 ...
Have you opened terminal and looked if VSOS prints anything?
No, Putty ( configured as shown in 'VS1005 VSOS Shell' manual) doesn't show anything.
And I have strong feeling that you have to press some button to get in to the USB mass storage mode.
I trust your instinct :) , but I understand that the numbering of the keys on the development board and the HiRes player does not match.

How far you tried the steps Henrik has written in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=681#p6867
I tried to follow the instructions given in this article Update (2016-11-04), but prommer doesn't connect to chip.
vside01.PNG
vside01.PNG (90.84 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
If you are working with external flash, keep XCS0 high during boot so that VS1005 tries to boot from internal rescue image and provides access to VS3EMU monitor.
As I understud from HiResPlayer schematic diagram, external SPI flash in use.
Тhanks, I'll try to test this option
Hannu
VLSI Staff

Post by Hannu »

From your screenshot, you are trying to flash the internal flash. Are you sure, you tried to write the kernel to external flash?

If you wrote to internal flash, the resurrection operation will be interesting.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Keep trying with the VSPROM9. The critical step is to get a stabilizing boot image to the internal flash. Once that's done you've won. Try pressing the buttons: power, play randomly while resetting the board and trying to connect, because I don't have any idea what state the board is in and what it is trying to do.

I wrote you a bunch of instructions to the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2134&start=10#p11831

If you connect it to UART and reset it over and over again while pressing random buttons, do you ever get anything to the screen at 115200bps, N81, no flow control?

-Panu
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Hannu wrote: Tue 2018-03-13 8:48 From your screenshot, you are trying to flash the internal flash. Are you sure, you tried to write the kernel to external flash?

If you wrote to internal flash, the resurrection operation will be interesting.
Correct, I'm trying to write rescue boot record to internal flah, as described in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=681 "Update (2016-11-04) Reliable operation of VS1005G chips require that a boot helper rescue image is programmed to the beginning of the internal SPI flash."
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Panu wrote: Tue 2018-03-13 9:53
Keep trying with the VSPROM9. The critical step is to get a stabilizing boot image to the internal flash. Once that's done you've won. Try pressing the buttons: power, play randomly while resetting the board and trying to connect, because I don't have any idea what state the board is in and what it is trying to do.
Thanks, after pressing buttons during reset I got response from the board:
vsprom02.PNG
vsprom02.PNG (66.39 KiB) Viewed 11539 times

Yesterday I made an attempt to load rescue img to the internal flash, but the process hung after reset:
vside02.PNG
vside02.PNG (12.33 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
thank you, I'm reading your instruction from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2134&start=10#p11831
technic
Senior User

Post by technic »

Thank you very much for help, device is workig now!