VS1010B Developer Board Quick Start

Designing hardware and software for systems that use the VS1010 MP3 Audio DSP Microcontroller.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

VS1010B Developer Board Quick Start

Post by Panu »

Dear Members,
Welcome to the VS1010 Forum!

We're delighted to present you the Developer Board for VLSI's new MP3 Audio DSP Microcontroller, the VS1010. It's a cost optimized platform that can be used for a lot of different audio enabled devices.

The VS1010 developer board has a lot of features that are designed to maximally make use of VS1010's capabilities. For example, it has integrated microphone, external AD converter, a D class power amplifier, SD card and USB host and USB peripheral connectors. It has a VS23S010D that can be used for a video display. Ther's a port for an ESP2866 Wi-Fi module. It even has PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors for the most adventurous.

vs1010quickstart.png
vs1010quickstart.png (413.57 KiB) Viewed 14490 times

The board might look a little complicated, but don't worry. Typical end applications, such as MP3 players, USB DACs and Audio books won't need most of the external components and will be much more simple. But with the developer board, it should be possible to write software for any of these applications with little or no modifications. As such, you should take note of how everything is connected in the developer board and design your own custom boards so that it's as compatible as possible with the developer board.

In this thread, we will be updating the documentation, files and SD card images that are helpful or needed to get the VS1010B Developer Board up and running. In-depth articles about software development for various purposes will be added as new topics.

Have fun, and as always, we're looking forward to hearing your feedback so that we can iron out any remaining bugs and steer our development towards those things that will be most useful for you!

Further reading:
VS1010 System Utility Programs documentation.
VS1010 Example Programs documentation.

-Panu
Attachments
VS1010SD - Public.zip
SD card contents
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 688 times
vs1010devboardquickstart06.pdf
VS1010B Developr Board Quick Start document, version 0.6. PDF File.
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 2640 times
Kalle
VLSI Staff

Re: VS1010B Developer Board Quick Start

Post by Kalle »

Here is the version 0.9 of the Quick Start guide. It has been modified for the Developer Board v1.3 with VS1010C.
Attachments
vs1010devboardquickstart09.pdf
VS1010 Developer Board Quick Start v0.9
(3 MiB) Downloaded 1900 times
MikeG
User

Post by MikeG »

Hi Panu/Kalle,

Sort of by accident, I have a VS1010D developer board. When I filled out the PO with your distributor I guess that I put VS1010D since that looks to be the latest version of the chip. Is there anything I need to know about version D of the chip/devleper board?

Thanks,

Mike
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Congratulations! You have a much more capable board than most!

The D ROM software has been done by patching, e.g. all the addresses are the same. So all VS1010C software should work in VS1010D the same as VS1010C. Additionally your board will support WMA, AAC and OGG decoding when we get the software libararies released, and alsmo most of the patches/bugfixes are already in the ROM. Hmm, because of that, it might not be a good idea to load any VS1010C patch (boot.dlx) at startup. Not sure, it might clash with the ROM.

There's also a few more capabilities, some more functions and some more data in the VS1010D ROM compared to VS1010C.

-Panu
MikeG
User

Post by MikeG »

Great!

Thanks Panu, I powered the board up last night attached to the UART. Now to see what I need to do next.

Thanks,
Mike
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Well, for one thing, you can test WMA, AAC and OGG playback now and be the first outside our labs to do it! :lol:

I just released them at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2318

-Panu
vinayslone
Senior User

Post by vinayslone »

I have just received this board !
on the basis of this board i am planning to make my own customized board .
We can use the UART or USB mini-B host to connect to PC.

So i had question, cant we use USB-A type host to connect to PC (using usb-usb type A cable) ?
or it can be only use to connect pendrive ?

I am planning to have only one USB host in my customized hardware, which will used for programming the board as well as connecting the USB memory stick .

Please revert back on this with any possibility !

Thankyou !
Hannu
VLSI Staff

Post by Hannu »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

VS1010 don't care if the connector is USB-A or micro or mini USB.

Plugging VS1010 with non-standard USB-A <-> USB-A cable and rebooting it as mass storage would show SD-card or SPI flash as mass media depending on runlevel. This is OK for factory programming.

VS1010 can also be USB host and it supports only mass storage devices. No hubs, keyboards or mice. Just USB stick to the USB port.
Playing MP3 files from stick works fine.
vinayslone
Senior User

Post by vinayslone »

Hello Hannu ,
Thankyou for your reply !

I will be not using any on-board external memory, neither SDcard nor SPI Flash.

So is it possible to store the application programs or software in internal memory like EEPROM (using it as mass media just for storing application) ?

If possible please share, how to flash application software in internal memory or ROM memory in VS1010 ?
And please share a sample program for reading audio files from USB mass storage .

Thankyou
Hannu
VLSI Staff

Post by Hannu »

Hi!

VS1010 ROM is really ROM so you need some external storage media. Only chip with internal reprogrammable flash is VS1005.

USB mass media host driver can be found from here: http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewto ... =15&t=2309