GPIO information

Designing hardware and software for systems that use the VS1010 MP3 Audio DSP Microcontroller.
regh
Senior User

GPIO information

Post by regh » Mon 2021-02-08 11:07

Hi

I have a few questions on the electrical characteristics of the GPIO that I haven't been able to find in the datasheet or handbook:

* What output current can the gpios handle? We're looking to drive some leds from gpios (with current limiting resistors) so need to know what is the maximum current the pins can handle. I can see from the development board schematic that there are some leds driven this way but can any gpio on the VS1010 drive an led? Also what would be the maximum number of pins that could be used to drive leds (along with other normal playing functionality).

* Does the gpios have internal pull-up/down resistors? I'm assuming it doesn't as I can't find any mention of it in the datasheet but just want to check.

Hannu
Senior User

Re: GPIO information

Post by Hannu » Mon 2021-02-08 16:26

regh wrote:
Mon 2021-02-08 11:07
Hi

I have a few questions on the electrical characteristics of the GPIO that I haven't been able to find in the datasheet or handbook:

* What output current can the gpios handle? We're looking to drive some leds from gpios (with current limiting resistors) so need to know what is the maximum current the pins can handle. I can see from the development board schematic that there are some leds driven this way but can any gpio on the VS1010 drive an led? Also what would be the maximum number of pins that could be used to drive leds (along with other normal playing functionality).
Analog characteristics of regulators: IOVDD regulator is tested with 30 mA, maximum continuous being 60 mA. So that is your total IOVDD current available. So choose super bright leds and set your current to less than 10 mA. 2-5 mA is often enough and the leds don't light up the room. All GPIO pins have same current handling capacity.

If you use all GPIO pins to power leds, they will change the brightness depending how many are turned on. Using external switch transistors and power will eliminate this problem.

* Does the gpios have internal pull-up/down resistors? I'm assuming it doesn't as I can't find any mention of it in the datasheet but just want to check.
Pin description table, type column. DIOPD is what you are looking for.