EMMC drive not showing up after copying over files

Designing hardware and software for systems that use the VS1010 MP3 Audio DSP Microcontroller.
SpinnakerDesign
User

EMMC drive not showing up after copying over files

Post by SpinnakerDesign »

Hi,

I have been working with a board with an onboard eMMC. We recently did a new spin and, after formatting the emmc per viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2493&p=13030&hilit=emmc#p13030, it showed up properly.

However, after copying over the contents I wanted to put on the eMMC, it now always shows up as VS1010C_RAM regardless of boot mode. Is there an explanation for this? I tried to just rerun the steps in the emmc formatting post above, but that has not fixed the issue.

The only contents of the ram drive are a 0bit file named: VS1010 Boot Ramdisk and a VSINFO file with the contents: 0C

I have a feeling the boot.dlx file might be incorrect on this new board spin we are doing, so is there a way I can just erase the EMMC from the spi-usb boot mode?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!
Hannu
Senior User

Re: EMMC drive not showing up after copying over files

Post by Hannu »

What UART prints?
SpinnakerDesign
User

Unfortunately, I can't access that uart on these boards without modification. I've tried putting it into the USB uart mode with the bootmode pins, but It appears that it is ignoring that and still booting in ramdisk mode.
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

OK. I have an idea what has happened. Please prove me wrong :)

The USB ramdisk method worked, you created a filesystem, copied files, ejected and rebooted. Everything broke after that. Am I correct?

And you have a large eMMC card. My best guess now is that you have made exFAT filesystem to the disk. If you try the ramdisk image write, the eMMC disk could show up. After that you could try to format it to FAT32. With a quick search, you need 3rd party tool to create large FAT32. The FAT32 filesystem goes nicely to up to terabyte size so this is just commercial limitation.
SpinnakerDesign
User

You are correct in the flow of what happened, but the EMMC is only 4 GB. It is actually this:
S40FC004C1B2C00000
SpinnakerDesign
User

My best guess is that there is an issue with the BOOT.dlx on the emmc has a bug and is crashing. Is there a way using the USB ram method that I can 0 out the emmc?
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

I have a code to wipe the SD card start. I needed that to unbrick my own mess through vs3emu :)

I just have to study a little bit more how the ramdisk image is created because that isn't the normal flow how programs are built.
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

I have some progress.

I ended up to same situation where you are. I now have SD-card which looks like ramdisk.

On linux lsblk:

Code: Select all

sdc           8:32   1    15G  0 disk  /media/hannu/VS1010C_RAM
And that is 15G sd card.
But when I look with df -h the free space in filesystem:

/dev/sdc                           31K  1,0K   30K   4% /media/hannu/VS1010C_RAM
I have neat 31k filesystem which is identical to ramdisk.

Now, how to fix this? My end result looks like this:

$ cat /media/hannu/VS1010C_RAM/config.txt
format D: -y -lVSOSSYS 
$ ls /media/hannu/VS1010C_RAM/
config.txt   sys
$ ls /media/hannu/VS1010C_RAM/sys/
Format.dlx  ParamSpl.dlx
You can find paramspl and format from viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2498&p=13041
What I did was deleted all files from the disk, wrote that one liner config.txt and copied paramspl.dlx and format.dlx to sys directory. After reboot, I have clean and empty full size SD card. And after format VS1010 will be in terrible state and needs reset.

Now I can reboot to runlevel 2 (or 14) and fill with everything I have wanted to put on the card.
Hannu
Senior User

Post by Hannu »

Were you able to fix this? And was my fix good?

I'm curious as I don't fully understand the mechanism how the SD card got written like that.
SpinnakerDesign
User

Hi Hannu,

Sorry for the delay, got caught up in something else for a bit.

So when I look at the device on my MAC, I see the following:

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: VS1010C_RAM *16.4 KB disk6

I tried your fix, however, the drive being presented is too small to hold the format.dlx file.

How it seems to have gotten into this state is that is has an invalid boot.dlx on the EMMC drive, and I can't get it cleared.