Application development

Installing and using VSIDE tools for VLSI Solution's devices that contain a VSDSP signal processor.
Julian
User

Application development

Post by Julian » Fri 2010-08-27 0:13

I have recently received a VS1053 development board as I am developing a medium volume product that does not fit exactly with any of your examples. I was originally going to use an Analog Devices Blackfin DSP and develop the application using one of their proto-boards under the Crosscore IDE. With this system you plug the USB cable in, launch Crosscore and the hardware is recognised. Full interactive debugging is available from within the IDE.
Although your devices appear much more suitable, the documentation is almost non-existant. I think I have identified the serial interface on the multi-pin header (no cable supplied or offered) buried within an application note on audio I/O, although a serial port on a PC is virtually non-existant these days. All I would like to know at this stage is: -
1. Having written my own C code and compiled it under VSIDE, how do I download it?
2. What connections do I make between my PC (no serial port) and the proto-board?
3. What debugging resources are available?
Is there a users guide for the VS1053 proto-board? Surely is should cover such topics as jumper settings, comm interface, "getting started"

Lasse
VLSI Staff

Re: Application development

Post by Lasse » Fri 2010-08-27 14:15

Hi Julian,

I'm assuming you have the VS1053 Prototyping board (it says "VS10XX prototyping board" on it). To communicate with the board you will need a serial port interface. You can use a USB-to-serial-port cable like this http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/epage ... 20Cable%22 Just connect the three wires to the corresponding pins on the board (RX/TX/Ground) and be sure not to connect the 5V voltage (use a 1.5V battery instead).

VSIDE's hardware emulator is responsible for executing your code on the chip. It needs to know the correct COM port of your protoboard. To set it up, open 'Solution properties' dialog in IDE by right-clicking on solution (should be the first line in the solution browser with all the projects and their associated source files etc) and select 'properties' from the menu. Com port setting is located in the Debugging tab. To tell which COM port your cable is assigned to, use Windows' Device Manager (Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Ports (Com & LPT).

Once set-up, you should be able to start debugging the program you made. I will try to give a rough description of the bootup process of VS1053... If you have jumper in "SPIB", the chip will boot from the SPI EEPROM. In the default state there should be an 8 KB memory with "standalone player" code in it. So you'll want to be sure not to have the jumper set if you want to debug code in the IDE. Next, VS1053 will see if you have an MMC card attached. If yes, the chip will boot to some kind of MIDI mode, so make sure you don't have card in the slot. Finally it will end up in the normal decoder mode. In this state you can feed audio bit stream into it but it will also respond to a UART interrupt, which VSIDE uses to trigger the HW-emulator. Serial port is used to load the program into VS1053's program RAM from where it is then executed. You may need to reset the board in-between debugging sessions.

You can set breakpoints, track the values of (global) variables etc. VSIDE's integrated help system describes the basic functionality.

(and yes, we will definitely improve the documentation in the near future...)
Software Designer
VLSI Solution