VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book

Installing and using VSIDE tools for VLSI Solution's devices that contain a VSDSP signal processor.
pfaucon
User

Re: VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book

Post by pfaucon »

I have received a VS1005 board this morning and have been looking for a quickstart guide for the last hour. The board doesn't come with any printed material.

I figured out browsing through the forums where to download a serial driver.

I am getting a bit aggravated and a bit disappointed. Does one have to buy this book to use the board?
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

The vs1053 book does not help you much with vs1005. There is material for vs1005 in the VSOS forum, there are also some videos.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook
pfaucon
User

Post by pfaucon »

Hello Pasi,

Thanks for your answer. :)
I got most of my stuff working.
I do MP3 recording and log GPS position on the SD card. I want to be able later to connect my device to a PC and see the SD card and its data as a drive on the PC. The acquisition software would not operate when the VS1005 USB is connected to a host.
The GPS is currently connected to the VS1005 through the serial interface but I am considering using the SPI interface instead, if I can get it to work. I would be reserving the serial port as debug, particularly because the GPS is sending data all the time and that interferes with the OS when rebooting.

I still have a few problems, mostly with the FAT32 of the SD card:
- how to use the directories
- how to append to a file (the "a" of fopen doesn't seem to work, is there a work-around?)
- ability to use metadata with the MP3 file - (I suspect I might have to make a copy and add the meta-data at that time)
- how to switch to a mode where I can mount the SD card as a USB slave, (it works fine for the flash but I want to access the flash only in software upgrade mode)
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

The last 4 messages will be moved to the VS1005 section next week.
devicedeveloper
Senior User

Post by devicedeveloper »

Hello, Support.

May I order this book from VLSI webstore in PDF file format or not?

May I order this book if I am not company and I am radio-hobbyst?
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

Hello,
devicedeveloper wrote:May I order this book from VLSI webstore in PDF file format or not?
The book is only available in printed format.
devicedeveloper wrote:May I order this book if I am not company and I am radio-hobbyst?
Yes you may. It is available at VLSI's Web Shop, here: http://webstore.vlsi.fi/VS1053-Book .

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.
devicedeveloper
Senior User

Post by devicedeveloper »

Henrik, thanks for reply!

Multiple delivery methods - they can choose? Express delivery is available (at an additional cost)?
dapeake
User

Post by dapeake »

Is there any application / how-to detail or examples on ogg or wav encoding in the book?

Dan
San Jose
CA, US
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

dapeake wrote: Fri 2020-01-17 8:34Is there any application / how-to detail or examples on ogg or wav encoding in the book?
No, the book teaches how to develop programs that run inside the vs1053. You don't generally need to do any programming for vs1053 if you use it for what it normally does, like decoding and encoding. If you use only vs1053 to implement an application, then you program the whole application with it.

For examples how to encode ogg and wav with a microcontroller, see http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewto ... f=11&t=840
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook