VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book

Installing and using VSIDE tools for VLSI Solution's devices that contain a VSDSP signal processor.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book

Post by Panu »

It's my pleasure to announce the availability of an introductory book about VS1053 and VSDSP programming. The new book is called "First Steps with VS1053 - designing custom MP3 players and other digital audio applications".

The book compiles together a lot of information, which otherwise would be difficult to piece together from different sources, such as datasheets, application notes and C header files. For example, it tells how to use all of the 22 input and/or output pins of the VS1053. The book explains the structure of the VS1053 audio path and teaches how to write VSDSP interrupt handlers in both assembly and C language. All of the examples use VSIDE, with step by step guide on how to obtain, install and use the graphical development environment.

The book is available from the VLSI webstore, but you can also win one for yourself at no charge. The first three persons who answer to a question posted by a non-VLSI staff member in this forum will get one for free. Claim your prize by sending a copy of your reply and your personal information to VLSI support e-mail.

Happy Reading!
-Panu

Buy from VLSI Solution Web Store
Front cover
Front cover
coverpic.jpg (123.55 KiB) Viewed 62376 times
Back cover
Back cover
backpic.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 62376 times
Table of contents page 1
Table of contents page 1
toc1.jpg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 62376 times
Table of contents page 2
Table of contents page 2
toc2.jpg (81.58 KiB) Viewed 62376 times
Greg
Senior User

Re: VS1053 / VSIDE / VSDSP Book

Post by Greg »

Hi Panu
I recently recieved the First steps with VS1053 book.
The book is very well written and as advertized it brings togther all the information needed to get started with VSIDE and also for hardware developement.
With the book it was easy to get VSIDE up and running. I was abel to compile and test the "hello" program in just a few minuets.
Its also a handy reference book to have on hand for on going developement work.
First class print job too.

Best Regards

Greg
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Thanks, Greg!
That's great to hear!
-Panu
mgilioli
User

Post by mgilioli »

Hi Panu,
is it possible to receive the book in pdf format? On the web store the delivery time semms to be 14 days and I would like to start programming the VS1053 as soon as possible!

Regards
Marco
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Sorry, the book is available only in printed form. Anyway, 14 days should be the "worst case" scenario. With courier delivery, you'll most likely have it sooner.

Happy reading!
-Panu
jc000
User

Post by jc000 »

Are there any US distributors that have picked this book up? The 40 Euros shipping costs to US is brutal!
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

jc000 wrote:Are there any US distributors that have picked this book up? The 40 Euros shipping costs to US is brutal!
Not yet, I think. But It should be possible to have delivery by ordinary mail if you order just the book.

-Panu
mungewell
User

Post by mungewell »

The 40 Euros shipping costs to US is brutal!
Assuming that the VLSI guys hold the copyright on the book, would they be willing to consider a 'print on demand' service (such as lulu.com) to service the folks here on the 'left of the pond'? That way they could match the price of the paper copy from webstore without the international shipping costs.

Simon
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

The lulu.com site seems interesting. I've been checking it out.

-Panu
Horace
User

Post by Horace »

I took the plunge and splashed out what seemed an extraordinary amount of dosh for a single book plus a few dollars worth of electronics . . . So far, I have not been disappointed. Today I have a green light . . tommorow who knows? The book is a real fund of information, vital stuff at that not TOO waffly . . . also I can see it is a gateway into stuff other users are talking about on the site . . pricey, but most of that cost :geek: is tax and postage, and with the excellent hardware . . cannot complain . . so far . . I am pleased