How to ask a question

Installing and using VSIDE tools for VLSI Solution's devices that contain a VSDSP signal processor.
VLSI Support Team
VLSI Staff

How to ask a question

Post by VLSI Support Team »

Here's some quick tips on how to ask a question.

VS10xx devices are used in many ways in many applications. Legacy products use a microcontroller to control a VS10xx as a standard, off-the-shelf slave codec. Others use the VLSI chip as the system controller for the entire design. Yet another class of applications connects an EEPROM to boot the VS10xx chip with some added functionality not present in the chip ROM, and then use the chip with an external microcontroller. Each of these cases is a little bit different.

Your question should give the basic information of which VLSI chip you are using and how you are trying to use it. Also it's good to know if you are using a Printed Circuit Board you have done yourself or if you are using one from VLSI or some other vendor. If you are using a microcontroller, it may help to know the MCU type. Also the types of external memories such as eeproms, SPI flashes or NAND flashes are useful if your question relates to memories.

The forum is categorized in 3 major parts: Tools, Software design and Hardware design. Each is further divided in 2 or 3 subcategories. Please try to find the category that most closely matches your question. If you have a complex question, which fits multiple categories, you could consider splitting the big question into smaller questions instead.

Basic Info Checklist
  • Which chip are you using [ VS1000 / VS1001 / VS1011 / VS1003 / VS1053 / VS8053 / ...]?
  • Are you using a microcontroller [ Yes / No ]?
  • \\ Which microcontroller are you using? ____
  • Which PCB are you using [ My own / VLSI's / Other ]?
  • \\ What is the PCB Model? ___
  • Is a boot eeprom/flash connected to the VS10xx chip [ Yes / No ]?
  • \\ What software are you booting the VS10xx chip with? ____
  • Other IC types in the design that are relevant to the question: ____
Demys
User

Re: How to ask a question

Post by Demys »

Yesterday I have sent an email at your "support Team" but I haven't received any answer, where is the error? thanks
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Dear Demys,
Great to hear from you!

Currently it's the holiday season, so there are some delays in answering the support e-mails. Currently the delay is about one week. Simple questions that anyone of us can answer are usually answered quite quickly. But other topics would benefit from the expertise of a specific engineer and those can take longer to answer.

We try to give the best possible support with the resources we have available. If you're in a hurry, please call our direct telephone at +358 3 3140 8222. We can usually be best reached between 10 AM and 5 PM EET (morning time in the United States, evening time in Asia).

Sincerely,
Panu
rahpanco
User

Post by rahpanco »

Hi dear Panu

I called to your company yesterday to talk to you but the guy behind the receiver told me that if you email the technical team support it would be faster than calling them directly ? is this right ?

B cause when he connected me to the technical team no 1 answered I called around 3 pm to your time.
rahpanco
User

Post by rahpanco »

Hi
is it possible to have your email addresses (technical support team )
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Dear Rahpanco,

Please see VLSI's Support page at: http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support.html
I called to your company yesterday to talk to you but the guy behind the receiver told me that if you email the technical team support it would be faster than calling them directly ? is this right ?
If you catch me on the phone at +358 3 3140 8222 when I am at the office, it's fastest. If your call is routed to the switchboard, they probably won't be able to help you and ask you to send an email. Note that I'm not in the office all the time; I might be away or in one of the labs, etc...

Actually, the fastest way to get help might be to ask in this forum, since I and other people read this forum even outside business hours.

Sincerely,
Panu
julienChambille
User

Post by julienChambille »

Hi everyone,

I am just new forum member and I don't really understand how to ask a question or create a topic on this forum. Do I need to send an email to the support team or there is an button or section somewhere in the forum pages in order to do this.

Thank's and sorry to ask this kind of silly question.

Julien.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi, Julien!

When I was teaching at the university, I always used to say that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! :D

Anyway, you should see a "NEW TOPIC" button in all of the forum pages where you see the list of topics. That should enable you to create a new question. The button looks like this:
newtopic.png
newtopic.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 78240 times

Welcome to the forum!

-Panu
julienChambille
User

Post by julienChambille »

Thank you Panu..

It effectively seems to be an efficient Forum.
Glad to join it !

- Julien