VSIDE template for 3-button player

Installing and using VSIDE tools for VLSI Solution's devices that contain a VSDSP signal processor.
goonie
User

VSIDE template for 3-button player

Post by goonie » Fri 2010-10-15 10:31

Dear Support,
I have just installed VSIDE and am interested in building and customizing the 3-button vs10xx standalone player, but could only find a template for the HiFi player project. Are there plans to make a template for the 3-button player available, and if there is, what do you think the timeframe is?
Best regards
Jacob

Panu
VLSI Staff

Re: VSIDE template for 3-button player

Post by Panu » Fri 2010-10-15 10:37

Dear Jacob,

Yes, a template for the VS1053 stand-alone player is on our to-do list... hopefully it'll be ready in a few days... up to a couple of weeks...

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

goonie
User

Post by goonie » Fri 2010-10-15 11:42

Dear Panu,

Thanks, that sounds really great, I will be looking forward to this.

In the meantime I will try to understand the source code better to be able to modify it for my requirements. Although I have to say I have a hard time, since the code doesn't include many comments. If you think there's a chance that some more comments could be added to the VSIDE version it would make the task easier...and perhaps even decrease the amount of 'bothersome' questions on this forum :)
Particularly it would be nice to know the meaning of each of the #define's in standalone.h, and when to or when not to define them.

BTW, I think there might perhaps be a small typo in the "c-fatmakefile.c" sourcefile? The two commenting slashes // is placed just infront of the * dereferencing operator, making the two following codelines to also be regarded as comments (since the terminating */ is first met at the end of the third line).

//*p |= attrib;
p += (12-10)/2;
*p = (*p & 0xff00) | (SwapWord(created[2]) & 0xff); /* 0..199 ms */

p += (14-12)/2;
*p = SwapWord(created[1]); /*create time*/

Best regards
Jacob

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Fri 2010-10-15 14:28

Dear Jacob,
In the meantime I will try to understand the source code better to be able to modify it for my requirements. Although I have to say I have a hard time, since the code doesn't include many comments. If you think there's a chance that some more comments could be added to the VSIDE version it would make the task easier...and perhaps even decrease the amount of 'bothersome' questions on this forum :)
Particularly it would be nice to know the meaning of each of the #define's in standalone.h, and when to or when not to define them.
Heh, you're right. It's partly explained in the HiFi player sources, where it's stated that much of the code descends from the VS1053 Stand-alone player, which descends from the VS1003 stand-alone player, which in turn is such extreme engineering, that we never intended it to leak outside VLSI. The HiFi player actually goes as far as saying that you shouldn't modify any of the #defines since it would probably not work. The hundreds of #defines, #ifs and #elsifs represent an ideology, where there is a single source code, which is compiled into dozens of different versions, each with different options activated. This is done using an automated build tool called GNU Make and the various pre-processor definitions. This way of thinking, however, is ill suited to IDE tools.

The background story is that I have been re-writing the HiFi player code almost from scratch since the release of v1.0 in February 2010. The current code has some very interesting features, such as unicode support, recording, and even video playback (our own codec). But the code requires overlay support from the linker to be able to extend the code memory, and we're busy adding that to VSIDE. Our main efforts are directed towards this new, versatile framework of audio player.

But we intend to make the legacy Stand-Alone player also work with VSIDE, since it's a simple product, which is quite usable in many applications, for example where you just need a device to simply play a file when a key is pressed or a microcontroller sends a command to do so.

That said, it's time to get back to work now.

BTW, I think there might perhaps be a small typo in the "c-fatmakefile.c" sourcefile? The two commenting slashes // is placed just infront of the * dereferencing operator, making the two following codelines to also be regarded as comments (since the terminating */ is first met at the end of the third line).
That might be right, though I suspect that the // might bind stronger than /* so the code actually might compile with the two lines present. Anyhow, a good remark, thank you.

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube

goonie
User

Post by goonie » Tue 2010-10-19 17:52

Dear Panu

Thanks for your thorough explanation.
The possibility of using dynamically loaded code overlays sounds great, but beyond my programming skills I'm afraid:-) I will be looking forward to the new kind of applications this will bring.

My current project only requires a "simple" player that can be controlled from a microcontroller, and doesn't need the display, keypad and USB functions. So I guess the Standalone Player code is still better suited for this than the HiFi Player code, even though the HiFi Player code might be more up to date. I will just have to sit tight until the VSIDE Standalone Player template is ready then.

Best regards,
Jacob

goonie
User

Post by goonie » Fri 2010-11-26 22:24

Dear Panu

Do you know if there's any news regarding the VSIDE template for the VS1053 3-button player?
If not quite ready yet, can you please let me know by sending a note in this forum when it becomes available? Or if the VSIDE version number is increased when it's added, then I can check for this once in a while to see when it becomes available.

Best Regards
Jacob

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Wed 2010-12-01 19:42

Hi!

It's not included yet, but we're getting ready to release VSIDE 2.07. It should be included there.

-Panu

f.novi
User

Post by f.novi » Thu 2010-12-02 1:06

Dear support,
When Do you think to release VSIDE 2.0.7 with template for 3-bottom player?
Thanks a lot.

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Thu 2010-12-02 7:53

We skipped 2.06 release because there were some annoying bugs, such as crash on find-replace, which would have given bad user experience. So now it's time to make another release, since the VSIDE has developed so much. I'm thinking that we could be able to post a pre-release test version in this forum in a few days. Then it needs to go through our testing procedure (installing, building and running all template code, code editing) before we can post it on the company website.

To tease you, here's the changelog from 2.05 to 2.07:

Version 2.07
- Added serial port monitor ("dumb terminal") [windows only]
- Added code editor feature: right-click to quickly open header files included in C code
- Solution build will now stop at first failed project
- Save-all function now saves solutions also
- Fixed search-and-replace in code editor
- Static libraries are no longer linked with startup module
- Fixed pre-build step functionality for projects
- VS1053 library headers updated
- Added matching brace highlighter to code editor

Version 2.06
- Added COM port parameter autodetection for various VLSI boards [windows only]
- Improved serial port handshaking (the board should require a reset less often)
- Improved stability when creating new solutions
- Added automatic parsing of C-file dependencies with their respective header files (during build)1
- Added VSDSP4 platform for software simulation
- Added VS8053 solution template
- Fixed build process environment: VSIDE's home path will precede everything else
- Improved indentation behavior in code editor (block indent/unindent, "smart" line indent)
- Improved find functionality in code editor
- Added preferences dialog: the user can now change the editor font, indentation behavior etc.
- Fixed profiling information browser's line feed
- Added ability to prom EEPROMs and SPI flashes with VS1053
- Added VS1003 platform

-Panu

goonie
User

Post by goonie » Thu 2010-12-02 12:31

Hi Panu

That's an impressive feature list. Will be looking forward to play with the new release :)

Best regards
Jacob