Coff read error

Using VSDSP legacy command line tools.
jerrymattias
User

Coff read error

Post by jerrymattias »

Hi,
I am trying to flash a 16 button stand alone player software on to a VS10xx using VS3EMU. I manage to connect to the board. I have changed to player1003butt.bin in the prom03b.bat. When i run the .bat this I get a Coff read error: Wrong magic number in the COFF header (0x2650). Do I have to make any other settings?
If I use the prom1003.bin this doesn't occur, but I get the message could not open boot.img at one point during the flash.

Regards/

Mattias
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Re: Coff read error

Post by Panu »

Hi!

I'm not that familiar with promming the stand-alone player, but from the magic number I can see that the file is an EEPROM boot image (already ready for promming) and not a COFF file (binary output file of compiler or linker).

Can you track which program tries to open the file? If it's some variant of coff2boot (coffFile-to-bootFile), then it means that the input file is already a boot file.

VS3EMU uses COFF files to push into the VS10xx and run them. But if you need to make a self-booting unit then you need to convert the COFF file into a boot image, which you then prom into the eeprom or SPI flash.

If you get this error when you're trying to debug a program using VS3EMU, then you need to see what was the COFF input file of coff2boot and use that file instead.

If you're using VS3EMU to prom an EEPROM in your target device using RS-232, you need to be careful. The COFF file which VS3EMU loads (using the -l parameter) is a prommer program, which is loaded and executed inside the VS10xx. The prommer program then, while executing, uses the VS3EMU connection to access an eeprom image file in the PC (usually named "eeprom.img", "boot.img", "boot.bin" or something like that) and copies its content into the eeprom.

-Panu
jerrymattias
User

Re: Coff read error

Post by jerrymattias »

Thanks for your answer. The reason for my problem was that I actually misunderstood the instructions in the Readme.txt. I was changing the .bin file name in the .bat file rather then just rename the .bin file i wanted to use into EEPROM.IMG and use EEPROM.IMG as a parameter when running the .bat file.
Now it works fine.