How to Reduce VS1053B Power Consumption?

Writing software that inputs and/or outputs audio and performs DSP algorithms such as filters, new codecs or audio effects.
bayviewboom
Senior User

How to Reduce VS1053B Power Consumption?

Post by bayviewboom » Fri 2020-08-28 3:00

We're going to install your off-the-shelf equalizer software on the VS1053B. Specifically:

"VS10XX and SPI Boot Memory, No Modifiable Parameters"
http://www.vlsi.fi/fileadmin/software/V ... alizer.pdf

Planning on 22-band configuration.

We are concerned about power consumption. It's a battery-powered application. Any ways to reduce power-usage?

For example, our application is mono. Can we rip out any code related to stereo operation, and keep it mono end to end? And will that reduce power consumption?

Or, do a parametric instead of graphic EQ?

Or, once we work out our EQ curve, can we delete the filters that remain at zero?

We're NOT using any of the encoders/decoders, EarSpeaker, earphone amplifier, bass-control, treble-control, midi, or sinewave. JUST EQ. Does that offer any opportunities to reduce power?

thx!

(moderator, if this is wrong forum-category, plz move to correct category)

bayviewboom
Senior User

Re: How to Reduce VS1053B Power Consumption?

Post by bayviewboom » Fri 2020-08-28 5:20

datasheet 10.4 says:

"To lower the power consumption:
- Turn off all audio post-processing (tone controls and EarSpeaker).
- If possible for the application, write 0xffff to SCI_VOL to disable the analog drivers.
- Note: The low power mode consumes significantly more electricity than hardware reset.

Great! It says:

"If GPIO0 is low and GPIO1 is high during boot, real-time MIDI mode is activated."
- So i assume the reverse settings will deactivate it.

"EarSpeaker setting can be configured with GPIO2 and GPIO3."
- We're going to operate in standalone mode, in which case GPIO2 will be MISO. So what do we do in that case? Will EarSpeaker be off by default?

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Fri 2020-08-28 8:23

Hi!

I'm not an expert regarding the parametric EQ, but the less processing you do, the less CPU power you need. Specifically tailored filters tend to use less memory than generic ones. Explore which clock multiplier you need. The slower the clock, the less power the chip uses. For one application that didn't need high audio quality as it was a talk radio, I even used a slower crystal to minimize power consumption. Also, lower voltages use less power, but there are limits.

I'm not the best expert about it, but the filters can be optimized for your application, what kind of filters do you need?

Finally, I'd like to have an idea of what kind of power consumption is your target. (Please give a number in milliamperes, not just "as low as possible", because that's obvious, and what is included in that amount of milliamperes: analog power, digital power, other ICs etc)

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

bayviewboom
Senior User

Post by bayviewboom » Sun 2020-08-30 23:56

Panu wrote:
Fri 2020-08-28 8:23
the less processing you do, the less CPU power you need
which translates into lower power-consumption, right?
Specifically tailored filters tend to use less memory than generic ones.
Unclear what these terms mean. I'm still learning about the EQ. Which are the "generic" filters in the VS1053b EQ application? Which are the tailored ones?
lower voltages use less power, but there are limits.
as defined in the datasheet, correct?
filters can be optimized for your application, what kind of filters do you need?
What kinds are there? I'm still learning about the EQ application.
what kind of power consumption is your target, and what is included in that amount of milliamperes: analog power, digital power, other ICs etc)?
Sorry, not sure how to answer this. I'm not asking how to reduce power consumption of our entire system, or of other chips in the system-- just asking about the VS1053b.

Does the VS1053b require both analog power and digital power?

Thx!

pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi » Yesterday 12:19

Are you trying to reduce the VS10xx power consumption during playback, or during standby / low-power mode, or all? The basic things below:

- During low-power mode you can pull reset low for the least power consumption - but you need to consider output muting or the headphones / line out will produce a transient.
- During playback you can use the lowest clock multiplier which still decodes the audio file. Only the necessary hardware and software blocks are already used.
- During stand-by (quick to start decoding or encoding) you can set 1.0x clock, low samplerate by writing to SCI_AUDATA, and potentially lower voltages.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

bayviewboom
Senior User

Post by bayviewboom » Yesterday 12:33

Thx for your reply. My question pertains the the EQ application, not file-decoding.

pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi » Yesterday 12:40

bayviewboom wrote:
Yesterday 12:33
Thx for your reply. My question pertains the the EQ application
Use the lowest CLOCKF value with which the EQ app still works for the lowest power consumption.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook