VS1053B: Can We Remove or Bypass Unused Code?

Writing software that inputs and/or outputs audio and performs DSP algorithms such as filters, new codecs or audio effects.
bayviewboom
Senior User

VS1053B: Can We Remove or Bypass Unused Code?

Post by bayviewboom » Fri 2020-08-28 3:50

We're going to install your off-the-shelf equalizer software on the VS1053B. Specifically:

"VS10XX and SPI Boot Memory, No Modifiable Parameters"
http://www.vlsi.fi/fileadmin/software/V ... alizer.pdf

We're using the analog output, not i2s.

We're NOT using any of the encoders/decoders, EarSpeaker, earphone amplifier, bass-control, treble-control, midi, or sinewave. JUST EQ.
We're looking for ways to simplify the code, simplify our development effort, and/or reduce power consumption.

Can we delete or bypass any of those other functions? Will that give any benefit?

thx!

(moderator, if this is wrong forum-category, plz move to correct category)

Panu
VLSI Staff

Re: VS1053B: Can We Remove or Bypass Unused Code?

Post by Panu » Fri 2020-08-28 8:16

Hi!

I'm not entirely sure what is your point of view in this: what are you trying to save? Power? CPU time? Memory space?

Those features are either in hardware or ROM. The ROM code cannot be modified, it's really ROM (not flash, not eprom, not modifiable, ever.) but if you load your own code into the RAM and don't call any of those function in ROM, then they don't get executed. If you don't call ROM functions, then you can use more data RAM than what is specified in the datasheet as the "User" area. But there's no benefits in code space.

Similarly, if you take control of the IC yourself, then you don't need to configure or can switch off those parts of the hardware that you don't need. That might have some impact on the power consumption, positive or negative.

What are you most concerned about? Power? CPU time? Code memory? Data memory?

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

bayviewboom
Senior User

Post by bayviewboom » Fri 2020-08-28 19:30

What are you most concerned about? Power? CPU time? Code memory? Data memory?
all of the above
can switch off those parts of the hardware that you don't need. That might have some impact on the power consumption, positive or negative.
That's what we want to know more about.

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Sun 2020-08-30 20:15

We need more information from you. What is your most urgent goal and the acceptance criteria to determine if that goal has been reached or not?

You say you are using our off-the-shelf solution for the EQ. And you also say that you want to simplify the code and your development effort. Could you clarify? What kind of code development are you doing? Something about EQ settings, perhaps? Is that development for VS1053 code, or for microcontroller code?

I hope you can understand my confusion. You say that you are doing just EQ. And that the EQ is off the shelf. I don't know much about the EQ but if it's off-the-shelf, then what is there to develop? I'm genuinely trying to help, and I genuinely don't understand what exactly you are asking. So obviously I have the wrong idea about something.

Again, I'm not a parametric EQ expert, but I would like it to be so that when a parametric EQ expert reads your question, he will have enough information about your question to give you a precise and meaningful answer. So far this discussion is still too generic. We need details.
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

bayviewboom
Senior User

Post by bayviewboom » Sun 2020-08-30 22:13

Hi, we're not planning to do new development. We want to bypass/disable built-in features in your chip that we're not using.

i found this info:
http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewto ... 592#p13481

Hope that clarifies. Thx!