VS1053 USB HiFi Player with unicode

Writing software that controls the system and peripherals such as displays, SD cards, Buttons, LEDs, Serial Ports etc.
manwai
User

VS1053 USB HiFi Player with unicode

Post by manwai »

Good day everyone !

My HiFi Player board arrived few week ago and I just start to study and understanding it.

I found it is mentioned that unicode is supported in some presentation documents. I would like to know is it possible to get the source code for this ?
Or would you please advise where can I found more information about that and how can I code it myself (zero knowledge with unicode) ?

Most of the time I need to display Traditional Chinese fonts instead of English.

Thanks for your information and time.

William
Last edited by manwai on Tue 2016-03-15 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Re: VS1053 USB HiFi Player with unicode

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Yes, I once did a Unicode version of the player. It correctly scrolled the Chinese file name on the screen (both traditional and simplified Chinese are supported, as well as Korean and Japanese), but not ID3 tags. I made a separate prommer to write the Unifont to the SPI flash and then the player software version with the Unicode screen output. I'm not if I ever published that version; it lacked some features of the original player, such as correct voltage display when charging the battery. Heh, I even made a version which plays videos on that tiny screen :lol: I encoded some movies to it and I use it to fall asleep in airplanes :lol:

How much do you want it? It must be in the backups somewhere.

-Panu
manwai
User

Post by manwai »

Hi Panu,

Thanks for your reply. It will be great if you can find it in the backups. :D

I live in Hong Kong where Traditional Chinese is the major language. However, most of the works for my job or for my own fun is just encoded in ASCII English or just hard-coded for Chinese interface. I just would like to take this chance to learn more about Unicode and how to implement in MCU (or in VSDSP 4 Processor :P ). Another reason is most of my MP3 is in Traditional Chinese file name, so all song name cannot display correctly now.

As it is just for my own fun, so it is fine even you can't find the source. If the source is not available, it is appreciate if you can let me know which book or website is a good starting point for me.

William
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

There's nothing to it, really. I just use the GNU Unifont (see for example https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 0-7FFF.png) to draw the characters. They are in same order as in the FAT long file name format (UTF-16 Unicode).

http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html

-Panu
manwai
User

Post by manwai »

Thanks Panu.

I will try to do it myself and come back to brother you if I get any problem. :P
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hi!

Good luck! And I'm going to dig up that source code and post it here but can't say how soon that may be.

-Panu