Trouble loading real-time MIDI application - VS1053b

Writing software that controls the system and peripherals such as displays, SD cards, Buttons, LEDs, Serial Ports etc.
benjy
User

Trouble loading real-time MIDI application - VS1053b

Post by benjy » Tue 2017-06-13 19:52

Hi,

I am having trouble getting the real-time MIDI application to work. I have two programs that are identical except for the plug-in. In the first, I load the real-time MIDI start code, and it works. In the second, I load the real-time MIDI application, and it doesn't work.

Here's the setup: I have a microcontroller (Arduino Pro Mini) connected to the VS1053b (Adafruit breakout board) using SPI. I have a MIDI guitar connected to the microcontroller over a serial interface. The code loads a plug-in, selects the bank and instrument, sets the VS1053b volume, and sets the MIDI channel volume. After that, it transfers MIDI events from the guitar to the VS1053b over SDI with the 0x00 padding byte.

I know loading the real-time MIDI start plug-in works because the VS1053b enters real-time MIDI mode without my using GPIO0 and GPIO1. I can play the guitar and have the corresponding notes played by the VS1053b. When I load the real-time MIDI application instead, I get no sound from the VS1053b when I play. I can print the MIDI stream I'm sending over SDI, and it looks correct. I also print the plug-in data that goes out over SCI, and it looks correct.

My question is do you have any hints about how I can debug my problem?

Thanks and regards,
Benjy

pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: Trouble loading real-time MIDI application - VS1053b

Post by pasi » Wed 2017-06-14 10:38

Hi Benjy,

Are you using the loading tables (.c) or the compressed plugin (.plg) ?

The application loading tables or the plugin do not seem to include the start command. Are you writing 0x50 to AIADDR after loading the code?
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

benjy
User

Post by benjy » Wed 2017-06-14 14:04

Hi,

I am using the .plg file, and I am not writing the start address, so that's probably my problem. I will try your suggestion this evening and report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

Regards,
Benjy

benjy
User

Post by benjy » Thu 2017-06-15 2:42

Hi,

I tried your suggestion and setting AIADDR started the real-time MIDI application.

So thanks again!

Benjy