VS1000 Audio Module Step-by-Step

Writing software that controls the system and peripherals such as displays, SD cards, Buttons, LEDs, Serial Ports etc.
shubhamgandhi
Senior User

Re: VS1000 Audio Module Step-by-Step

Post by shubhamgandhi »

I'd like to load firmware and audio content onto SPI Flash using a microSD card. From what I gather in your step-by-step I need the following: CONTENT.RAW, FIRMWARE.RAW, and SDUPDATE.PRG loaded onto the card.

I'm able to generate CONTENT.RAW using the imggen052 tool, but I'm having trouble generating the other two. I load up the VS1000 UART Audio Module in VSIDE and build the solution, and this generates eeprom.img. Is this same as spiall.spi which I can rename to FIRMWARE.RAW?

I copied make.exe, vcc.exe, vsa.exe, vslink.exe, coff2spiboot.exe, and combineimg.exe into the solution directory where the .c and .h files are. When I type "make" in the command console, I get the response
"Load executable first!"

How do I load the executables? What directory should I be copying them into?

Thanks for your help.
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

shubhamgandhi wrote:I load up the VS1000 UART Audio Module in VSIDE and build the solution, and this generates eeprom.img. Is this same as spiall.spi which I can rename to FIRMWARE.RAW?
Yes, that is the file.
shubhamgandhi wrote:I copied make.exe, vcc.exe, vsa.exe, vslink.exe, coff2spiboot.exe, and combineimg.exe into the solution directory where the .c and .h files are. When I type "make" in the command console, I get the response
"Load executable first!"

How do I load the executables? What directory should I be copying them into?
Do not mix using the make tool and VSIDE unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If you want to program the firmware using VSIDE instead of the uSD card (for example if the module does not have a suitable firmware anymore, or for your own initial programming), use the Prommer tool from VSIDE menus. You just have to make sure to use the "prepared image" version of the vs1000 spi programmer, so that eeprom.img is not overwritten by VSIDE.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook
shubhamgandhi
Senior User

Post by shubhamgandhi »

I see. I will give loading firmware through VSIDE UART a try.
But what about audio content? How can I load audio content to the flash without putting CONTENT.RAW and SDUPDATE.PRG onto the microsd? I'm not planning on using USB in my application.
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

Hi,

If you want to program both the content and firmware through UART, you can test the first quick release of pcflash.exe from http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/vs1000tools.html . There is a short readme file with a command-line example for both the voicemail and normal audio module firmware. For the audio module firmware you need to create the FAT image beforehand (remember to set "fat start at 0" in imggen052).
seulater
User

Post by seulater »

pasi wrote:You can now get VSIDE Solution of the VS1000 Audio Module firmware (UART-controlled version 0.72) from http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/ ... tions.html .
  • Decompress the packet to your solution directory. Copy coff2allboot.exe to VSIDE\bin\ if you haven't already. -- Not needed for the latest VSIDE version
  • (first time only) Edit VSIDE\bin\prommer.index, make a copy of VS1000 SPI Flasher (24-bit) with a different name (pre-generated image), and set ImageCommandLine = "". Use this prommer when programming the module. -- Not needed for the latest VSIDE version
  • Start VSIDE and open VS1000AudioModule.solution.
  • Run Build, spiall.spi will be created (and copied to eeprom.img)
  • Select Prommer/Flasher Utility from the Project menu (ctrl-shift-W) to program the image (remember to power up the module with xCS grounded), select the flasher with "pre-generated image" and run it.
  • Instant success!:-)
If you need more space to SDPlayer for your own code, you can disable USB functionality by just commenting out #define USE_USB from sdplayer.c .
These directions differ from what the readme file says when you open the solution. It says:

- If you don't have this version, you need to add the following entry to
VSIDE\bin\prommer.index:

[vs1000_spi_flash_24bit_preparedimage]
Name = "VS1000 SPI Flasher (24-bit) prepared image"
TargetPlatform = "VS1000"
Description = "This VS1000 prommer can program SPI Flash memory chips with 24-bit address space. Communication is handled via UART cable. Image file has been prepared already by post-build step."
ImageName = "eeprom.img"
UseVs3Emu = "1"
PrommerBinary = "uniprom1k24.bin"
PrommerMemDesc = "prommer24.mem"

Which I have done, then built and It gives an error.

combineimg -o spiall.spi -m 32768 +0 usbmass.spi +8192 spiplayer.spi +16384 sdplayer.spi +24576 sdmass.spi
Add file: usbmass.spi 0x0000..0x19cf
Add file: spiplayer.spi 0x2000..0x3a37
Add file: sdplayer.spi 0x4000..0x5d84
Add file: sdmass.spi 0x6000..0x76c4
copy spiall.spi eeprom.img
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), copy spiall.spi eeprom.img, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\VSIDE\bin\make.exe: *** [Emulation-Debug/SDMass.coff] Error 2

Build failed!
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Hmm, which host OS are you running VSIDE on? Does it have the command/utility "COPY"?

-Panu
seulater
User

Post by seulater »

Panu wrote:Hmm, which host OS are you running VSIDE on? Does it have the command/utility "COPY"?

-Panu
Running on Win10 Pro, I dont know what you mean by command/utility "COPY"
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

Either the copy program is not found in the system (these basic file tools have traditionally been included), or the directory can't be written to.

As a workaround you can open the VS1000 Audio Module solution directory in the windows file browser and copy spiall.spi into eeprom.img using that. The size of the image should be around 30 kilobytes.

You can then run the VSIDE prommer/flasher tool (the prepared-image version). It will read the copied eeprom.img and program it into the module's SPI FLASH.
seulater
User

Post by seulater »

pasi wrote:Either the copy program is not found in the system (these basic file tools have traditionally been included), or the directory can't be written to.

As a workaround you can open the VS1000 Audio Module solution directory in the windows file browser and copy spiall.spi into eeprom.img using that. The size of the image should be around 30 kilobytes.

You can then run the VSIDE prommer/flasher tool (the prepared-image version). It will read the copied eeprom.img and program it into the module's SPI FLASH.
Oh, I understand what you mean now. What version of windows never included copy? I have every version since win3.1 they all have had copy.
Anyway, I opened a command prompt and used copy to copy a file from one folder to another, works just fine.

How is one supposed to copy a file into another file?
Panu
VSDSP Expert

Post by Panu »

Weird. All versions of Windows have Copy. It must be something else.