How to choose a VLSI device?

Designing hardware that use VLSI Solution's devices as the system controller for the entire design.
mercyjohn
User

Re: How to choose a VLSI device?

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,
Around here summer officially starts in June
That is fine. My audio system design will take much longer than that, so I think I will start designing with the VS1005.

Here in India, summer ends and monsoon (rainy) season starts in the month of June.

Thanks and Regards,
John.
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

Hello John!

I have now had the chance to implement both an S/PDIF Input driver and an S/PDIF Input + Output driver. The new drivers are available in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2115

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,

Thanks, I just came here to check up whether you have completed it.

Regards,
John.
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,

I am now starting my design with the VS1005, I need some clarifications, in my present audio board I am using WM8805 spdif to I2S converter, this is supposed to have low jitter (50pS) since you have completed the firmware development of the SPDIF receiver how will it perform compared to the WM8805?, is your SPDIF converter inside the VS1005 firmware based or hardware based? I know it does not matter as long as it meets specification and matches the audio quality. Can you please clarify?

I have briefly perused your chapter 11.14.1 S/PDIF Receiver, think it is hardware based.

Regards,
John.
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

What will be happening to the audio data afterwards?

Will there be processing, what will be the output interface from vs1005? (DAC, I2S, SPDIF?)

Because vs1005 will not be deriving its clock directly from the SPDIF clock, jitter in the input should not matter. What happens to the data afterwards may affect how the firmware handles resampling or regeneration though.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,

I was planning to to take the I2S output from the VS1005 and feed it to a DAC.

Regards,
John.