How to choose a VLSI device?

Designing hardware that use VLSI Solution's devices as the system controller for the entire design.
mercyjohn
User

How to choose a VLSI device?

Post by mercyjohn »

Dear Panu,

Thank you for your time.

I need MP3 decoding from the the USB pen drive, and the audio files will be on a pen drive and USB signals will be directly connected to your VLSI device. The output should be Left - Right analog and or I2S.

Additionally micro sd card input and or analog audio input will also be useful.

I think your VS1005 will be suitable, but you have so many other devices in your list, can you please give me list of devices meeting the above requirements.

Earlier I was planning on the VS1053 but I think that requires a separate USB interface chip.

Regards
John.
Mercy Electronic and Electrical Industries.
Bangalore, India.
pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: How to choose a VLSI device?

Post by pasi »

Yes, VS1005 is currently the only chip that provides USB Host functionality.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

And just in case you also want to RECORD from analog input to MP3 format to the USB stick, then you would use VS1205 of the VS1005 family. VS1005 contains MP3 decoder functionality, the VS1205 both MP3 encoder and decoder functions.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
Good signatures never die. They just fade away.
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

I have been going through the data sheet of the VS1005 and found it met most of my requirements but it seems that SPDIF receiving is not yet implemented.

In my existing solution I am using a SPDIF receiver (this is connected to a coax rca connector and an optical receiver) and a DAC, I needed to add USB(MP3), microSD, Aux in and FM which your chip has.

Can you please clarify about SPDIF receiving. This is required for connecting a DVD player to my audio amplifier. If you can give me a road map, I can go ahead with my hardware design of your device.

Regards,
John.
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,

Thank you for the information, that is a very useful feature on your device.
At the moment I may not be needing that feature, since the product I am designing is only audio play back no recording.

Thanks.
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

Hello John!
mercyjohn wrote:I have been going through the data sheet of the VS1005 and found it met most of my requirements but it seems that SPDIF receiving is not yet implemented.
This is true. We have the functionality in one of our products using VS1005, but it has not yet been written into a VSOS driver.
mercyjohn wrote:In my existing solution I am using a SPDIF receiver (this is connected to a coax rca connector and an optical receiver) and a DAC, I needed to add USB(MP3), microSD, Aux in and FM which your chip has.

Can you please clarify about SPDIF receiving. This is required for connecting a DVD player to my audio amplifier. If you can give me a road map, I can go ahead with my hardware design of your device.
The S/PDIF receiver is definitely in the pipeline, but I cannot really make a guess when we get to a proper implementation. Note that for hardware reasons S/PDIF and USB are mutually exclusive. They can exist in the same device, but they cannot be used simultaneously. E.g. you cannot receive S/PDIF and record the data to a USB drive.

Kind regards,
- Henrik
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,
The S/PDIF receiver is definitely in the pipeline
1 month, 3 months, 6 months? just a rough idea!
S/PDIF and USB are mutually exclusive. They can exist in the same device, but they cannot be used simultaneously. E.g. you cannot receive S/PDIF and record the data to a USB drive
Thats OK, my audio device will be playing songs from the USB pen drive or receiving digital audio from the SPDIF (coax or optical) both will not be required at the same time.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
John.
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

mercyjohn wrote:Hello Henrik,
The S/PDIF receiver is definitely in the pipeline
1 month, 3 months, 6 months? just a rough idea!
I'd say probably before summer comes, perhaps even earlier. It is one of those features that keep nagging in my head, but also a bit complex to implement because of certain clock design aspects of VS1005.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

PS. My 1001st message! Our first audio decoder IC, released over 15 years ago, was called VS1001, and it contained my first fixed-point MP3 decoder code. Yay!
mercyjohn
User

Post by mercyjohn »

Hello Henrik,
I'd say probably before summer comes, perhaps even earlier.
Summer in Finland? around which month?, because here in Bangalore, India, summer is just starting near end of March.
PS. My 1001st message! Our first audio decoder IC, released over 15 years ago, was called VS1001, and it contained my first fixed-point MP3 decoder code. Yay!
Congrats!

Regards,
John.
Henrik
VLSI Staff

Post by Henrik »

Hello John!
mercyjohn wrote:
I'd say probably before summer comes, perhaps even earlier.
Summer in Finland? around which month?, because here in Bangalore, India, summer is just starting near end of March.
Oh yes, I should of course have thought of that summer starts at different times in different parts of the world! Around here summer officially starts in June (in Finnish June is called "kesäkuu", which literally translated means "summermonth").

Kind regards,
- Henrk

PS. This is now my 1002nd message. VS1002 was the follow-up on the original VS1001, and added WAV playback, a mono analog audio input, GPIOs, a UART for debugging purposes, and easier-to-use SPI buses (nowadays called VS10xx Native Modes as opposed to VS1001 Compatibility Mode). VS1002 met an untimely end because of certain issues with the company it was fabricated in.