Schematic Review for TestBoard (VS1053b)

Designing hardware that use VLSI Solution's devices as the system controller for the entire design.
liv
User

Schematic Review for TestBoard (VS1053b)

Post by liv » Mon 2019-07-22 1:20

Hello! :)

I would love some feedback on my schematic before I begin with the layout!

My main goals with this one is to be able to run the VS1053b as both standalone and with a microcontroller (not at the same time), depending on how I configure the headers and switches. Plan is to experiment with it and my FPGA board which I am currently working on.

I will be using i2s output mainly, I have previously made a board with a nice DAC with tons of configurable options which I will be programming with the FPGA. I am planning on having several standalone applications for the VS1053b which will be stored on multiple EEPROMs and the FPGA will be choosing which one it will boot from (by routing the right CS pin). I might also experiment with level shifting the SD card through the FPGA. So now you know why I got all those headers around.

I have not yet played around with VSIDE since I wanted to make my own board first, but I have read the getting started book for the chip along with some documentation. I have not seen any examples of how files stored on the SD card can be removed with VS1053b software. Is it possible to manage files? Are there any examples someone can point me towards?

Also curious if someone has successfully implemented i2c on the VS1053b?

I'm not an engineer and any feedback on how I can improve is very welcome.

Thanks!
Attachments
VS1053b TestBoard.pdf
(614.45 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
"Tell him he is a pretty cat, and a good cat." - Commander Data

Panu
VLSI Staff. Currently on holiday.

Re: Schematic Review for TestBoard (VS1053b)

Post by Panu » Thu 2019-07-25 0:06

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Hmm, an interesting schematic, to be sure. I'm just wondering if it's cost effective to have so many eeproms in the design.. But then again, I can see the value in using the separate EEPROMs, you can use firmware images that are already available, without having to convert them any way. And for sure, only very simple VS1053 applications can be uploaded using a microcontroller. If an application uses overlays or multi-boots, then it must be able to control its loading from the EEPROM.

Note that some applications need to be loaded from an SPI flash with 24 bit address instead of an EEPROM.

As for the file system support, the Hi-Fi player code in the VSIDE built-in templates shows how the SD card can be used. Another alternative is in the "VS10x3 Developer Board" template - that one uses the SD card only by loading 512 byte sectors, making it more flexible from hardware point of view.

But alas, the VS1053 doesn't have enough IRAM to hold complex SD card file system functions, the above codes only support reading. You might want to take a look at VS1010 or VS1005 if you need more complex file system support than reading single files. But then again, both these are very different from the VS1053.

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy