VS10xx Proto Board for 1053 and 1063

Designing hardware that use VLSI Solution's devices as the system controller for the entire design.
Mental Mode
User

VS10xx Proto Board for 1053 and 1063

Post by Mental Mode » Tue 2020-04-21 12:31

Dear Team,

I currently purchased two PROTO boards.
One with VS1053 and another one with VS1063.
I purchased the VSIDE USB UART cable in order to be able to program the IC's with examples and custom application.

I'm developing a wireless audio application that serves as UART wireless link with another SOC's.
To do so, I think that VS1063a UartStreaming v1.20 example app will be a good starting point.
I reviewed the forum but was difficult to me to find the following answers:

1. What's the procedure to program VS10xx Proto Boards using VLSI and VLSI cable? I don't know the default pinout to connect the programmer.
2. Is there any possibility to use the available on chip ADPC 48 KHz bitrate? I'm interested in best audio quality as I have enough bandwidth.
3. May I configure 1053 board to receive 2 channels instead of only one?
4. May I use SPI instead of UART for streaming?
5. May I use I2S for streaming? I'll not use any DSP capability so maybe I2S interface is more suitable. RF SoC's support I2S natively.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Pablo.

pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: VS10xx Proto Board for 1053 and 1063

Post by pasi » Wed 2020-04-22 15:46

Mental Mode wrote:
Tue 2020-04-21 12:31
1. What's the procedure to program VS10xx Proto Boards using VLSI and VLSI cable? I don't know the default pinout to connect the programmer.
The VSIDE USB UART cable has a label with the pinout. Black to GND, green to RX, and white to TX. Do not connect the red, because that's 5V. You need to use the AA battery.

1.Remove the SPIB jumper, this prevents the boot from SPI.
2.Power up the prototyping board.
3.Program using the VSIDE prommer (or potentially using vs3emu and a prommer program from the command line).

Depending on the prommer, the programmed boot image may start automatically. Restore the SPIB jumper so that SPI boot is enabled again the next time you reset or power up the board.
Mental Mode wrote:
2. Is there any possibility to use the available on chip ADPC 48 KHz bitrate? I'm interested in best audio quality as I have enough bandwidth.
The maximum samplerate and bitrate depends on the encoding format, channels, and what's the maximum UART speed the connection between boards can support reliably.
Mental Mode wrote:
3. May I configure 1053 board to receive 2 channels instead of only one?
If you use mp3, then the samplerate and number of channels is determined by the data itself, there's no need to configure that. You only need to configure the encoder and make sure the encoder and decoder use the same UART baudrate.
Mental Mode wrote:
4. May I use SPI instead of UART for streaming?
5. May I use I2S for streaming? I'll not use any DSP capability so maybe I2S interface is more suitable. RF SoC's support I2S natively.
The SPIs of vs10xx are slave only. If you want to send data through GPIO, it would take a lot of bitbanging and costs CPU.
The vs10xx I2S output is for audio only, it cannot be used to send raw data.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook