Genuine IC from aliexpress

Designing hardware that uses VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs such as an external MP3 decoder chip for a host microcontroller.
rudnik
User

Genuine IC from aliexpress

Post by rudnik » Sun 2019-04-14 18:08

Hello,
does anyone know if the VS1011E from aliexpress are genuine? Like for example this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 174d1e2a33
Thanks, regards

Panu
VLSI Staff

Re: Genuine IC from aliexpress

Post by Panu » Mon 2019-04-15 11:30

10pcs-lot.jpg
10pcs-lot.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 43 times
This picture is an image manipulation, so it's not possible to say anything about whether the chip(s) they claim to sell are real or not. But the picture is not real, it's edited from an old picture. Other websites have used the same image as basis. The lot ID matches VS1011E produced in November 2007 (12 years ago). It probably has nothing to do with the merchandise they are currently selling.

If you need our ICs in China (Mainland or Taiwan or Hong Kong), or you want to buy them there, please contact our distributors. One of them has a publicly visible Taobao page here. The list of our distributors can be seen at: http://www.vlsi.fi/en/contact.html

-Panu
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

rudnik
User

Post by rudnik » Mon 2019-04-15 13:29

Thanks for the info.
I looked at the taobao page. The devices are listed for ¥20.00 (€0.16). When I look at the VLSI webshop the devices are listet around €17. I can not read the text on taobao. How come there is this emens price difference? Is there any way to buy the devices for a similar price directly in Europe with quantity of 5 to 10 pieces?

Panu
VLSI Staff

Post by Panu » Mon 2019-04-15 15:16

Hi!

You know the old saying... if something is too good to be true, then it's not true... :) The prices are in Chinese Yuan Renminbi.

I took a look, and for example they sell VS1103 for RMB 12,50 which is EUR 1.65 today. Our webshop price for 1K quantity is EUR 1.59. It's just those companies style of operation in Shenzhen, when most customers buy thousands of chips per order at least and everybody lives almost next door.. just take a subway to their office and pick up a couple of chips, very little logistics involved... they can sell a few chips at 1K price because the customers who end up in production buy thousands anyway and they can support them locally. I have no idea what shipping/handling charges they would ask for shipping them out here.

-Panu

PS. Oh, yeah, and then there are hordes of people buying/getting/offering to clean up end of production lots from here and there and then they google for a price for the chip and offer it in various websites.. there's a ton of those and the problem is you never know what you get; the chips may be genuine or they may be fake, but most often they are old lots, stored in unknown environments. In rare cases they are desoldered from non-functional circuit boards so they may already be defective. Usually it's best to buy only from people who you trust, but sometimes you get a dollar when you give a dollar, so who knows ;)
Info: Line In and Line Out, VS1000 User interface, Overlay howto, Latest VSIDE, MCU Howto, Youtube
Panu-Kristian Poiksalo, VLSI Solution Oy

rudnik
User

Post by rudnik » Mon 2019-04-15 19:46

Thanks for the detailed info. (I thought it was yen)