VS1033D standalone

Designing hardware that use VLSI Solution's devices as the system controller for the entire design.
newspaper
Senior User

Re: VS1053B standalone

Post by newspaper » Mon 2011-09-19 13:15

Hello,

Today I pulled up all the pins of the SD card high with 100K resistors, but that also didn't work.

One problem/confusion. The datasheet and your guides say that GPIO0 =0 and GPIO1=1, lead to midi mode in vs1053b. If that is true I should not pull up the GPIO1 pin, rather should pull it down. This is the CS pin for the SD card.
I also found today that when the SD card is plugged it, I can't play the Hello MP3 file from the SDI interface. On further inspection I found that the SD card tried to pull high it's CS pin, ie GPIO1 and hence, maybe the VS1053b is going into midi mode?
If so, how do I correct this problem. It may be the same problem with the standalone player? Did you even face this problem?

Thanks

newspaper

pasi
VLSI Staff

Re: VS1053B standalone

Post by pasi » Mon 2011-09-19 14:10

newspaper wrote:GPIO0 =0 and GPIO1=1, lead to midi mode in vs1053b.
If so, how do I correct this problem. It may be the same problem with the standalone player? Did you even face this problem?
In the standalone player GPIO0 = '1', which escapes this situation. You can have GPIO0 = '1' even when you load the code through SCI (just remove the SPI EEPROM from the socket).

I think some proto board promming instructions also mention to remove MMC/SD when you remove the SPIB jumper to prevent real-time midi mode.

If you absolutely need to have SD card connected (and GPIO0 low), while playing stuff through SDI, you can do the following:
1) program GPIO0 and GPIO1 into outputs and drive them low: 0xc017 -> WRAMADDR, 3 -> WRAM, 0 -> WRAM, 0 -> WRAM.
2) give software reset, this will detect GPIO0 and GPIO1 low -> normal decoding mode
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook

newspaper
Senior User

Re: VS1033D standalone

Post by newspaper » Mon 2011-09-19 15:03

Hi Pasi,

Thanks for the the reply. I'm not using a proto-board. I've made my own board. I'll upload the schematics tomorrow.

So that means, I can pull up GPIO1 for the standalone mode...

I still don't understand. The VS1033B stars talking to the SD card, I also verified that the signals are valid (3.3volts and 0 volts) on all SD cards pins through an oscilloscope. Clock looks like clock and there is a stream of data on the DI pin and small number of transitions on both the CS and DO pin, yet I don't hear any audio... What should be the next logical step?

Also could you share a schematic, of SCI+SD card+VS1053, so I can take reference. I am most certain now, it's just the pull-up/down resistors on the SD card lines, which need the last tweaking before I hear music... :roll:

Thanks for your time

newspaper...

newspaper
Senior User

Re: VS1033D standalone

Post by newspaper » Mon 2011-09-26 15:37

Sweet music... :)

Thanks for the version 119... worked like a charm... Though it uses far more space on the micro-controller, it has almost used up more than half of the Atmega32

All resistors are pull ups on all 4 SD card pins... still not being able to read SDHC cards though, will empty the card and see with only one song tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the time everybody gave.

I will upload the schematics and the code used for my setup very soon...

Also 118 version still does not work...

Best wishes to the entire VLSI solution development team.

newspaper