microSD card capacity

Writing software for systems that use VLSI Solution's devices as slave codecs to a host microcontroller.
joe6486
Senior User

microSD card capacity

Post by joe6486 »

We've been using the VS1000 module for customers to have their own playback audio on microsd cards.

The trouble is that it's getting harder for them to find small capacity cards (32G or less) that is compatible with FAT32. It's hard enough to show them how to format it special for this. Asking them to partition the drive, then format for FAT32, is not going to be well received.

Is there a workaround that would allow a more modern filesystem that supported larger cards?

What about the VS1010, does the software support a more modern/larger filesystem?
Hannu
Senior User

Re: microSD card capacity

Post by Hannu »

I don't know about VS1000.

For VS1010 side I can tell, there is the format.dlx program. It shouldn't care about silly things like wanting to have exFAT on larger cards. It just writes the FAT32 file system and all devices which understand fat32 are (mostly) happy. The free cluster count is "don't care" so some operating systems tell to run filesystem check

Format and paramspl can be found from: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2498&p=13041

I wrote more about card sizes in VS1005 HiresRec topic recently: viewtopic.php?p=15485#p15485
pasi
VLSI Staff

Post by pasi »

The instruction memory of VS1000 is quite limited. The VS1000 Audio Module firmware is divided into 4 programs that are loaded on-demand when switching between player and USB mass storage for the module's SPI FLASH and uSD card (creating the 4 combinations). So, adding exFAT would be a big challenge, if even possible.

There are patents for exFAT, requiring licensing. I cannot say without more extensive research whether supporting exFAT read access is possible without infringing on the patents.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/VLSISolution VLSI Solution on Facebook
joe6486
Senior User

Post by joe6486 »

Thanks. I suppose I can look around for a simple utility to recommend to people that will partition and format a high-capacity card in FAT32 but I wish it was simpler than this. Many end-users cannot be bothered, sadly.

"Someday" we'll transition to a custom VS1010 solution, and format.dlx would be handy if it happily formats even large cards to FAT32.